As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Soup On Tuesday: Week 7

Since we were hosting our homeschool co-op today, I decided to rely on a tried-and-true recipe for tonight's repast.  My mom shared this one with me a few years ago, and it has all but replaced my old potato soup recipe.  Just imagine a loaded baked potato in creamy soup form.  Oh yes.  And then imagine a green salad, and a slice of home-baked Sally Lunn bread served alongside.  Mmmmm.



Tonight's soup...



Ingredients:
4 large baked potatoes, mashed  (I like to leave some lumps.)
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped green onion
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Directions:
  1. Bake potatoes.  When cool enough to handle, remove skins and mash. 
  2. Place flour in a large pot.  Slowly add milk, stirring well until well blended.  Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (approximately 8 minutes).    
  3. Add mashed potatoes, cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. 
  4. Remove from heat.  Stir in sour cream and green onion.  Cook over low heat 10 minutes.   
  5. Garnish with crumbled bacon, and additional chopped green onion. 

*** Sally Lunn bread recipe ~here~.



Looking for a recipe from another week?
Week 1:  The first Soup on Tuesday...Sausage Bean Chowder (recipe ~here~scroll to the bottom of post)
Week 2:  Seafood Chowder
Week 3:  Pizza Soup

Note:  The recipe for Pizza Soup had an error.  The recipe should have read a 7-ounce package of pepperoni, not a 1-ounce package.  That's not enough pepperoni!   (It has been corrected!  ~smile~) 

4 comments:

  1. Oh! I have to try this! It sounds so good, and with the bread and salad! Yum!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious. I know that the Sally Lunn bread is delicious.

    Guess what? My bread machine broke. Kaput. I didn't even make ten loaves of bread with it. Ten very expensive loaves of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl, all of your soups just look so delicious. Every time you post a picture, I want to call and beg you to make me some! Oh wait ... I guess that's why you also give us the recipe. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potato soup is one of my favorite winter comfort foods! And with that bread... I think I could just curl up and knit! ;)

    It really does look fabulous Cheryl. Your touches make it so visually pleasing, which to me is an important half of the experience!!

    Hope your Valentine's day was extra special.

    {{hugs}} Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...