As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Salad On Tuesday: Week 10 {Caprese Salad}


This salad is so basic and so refreshing and as easy as 1-2-3.  

1) You just go out to your garden and pick some tomatoes.   (Or if you have used all of your garden tomatoes and the rest are some shade of green, stop at a local produce stand and pick up a few, hypothetically speaking, of course).  

2)  Go to the market and buy some fresh mozzarella.  (Or send your daughter in to buy the fresh mozzarella and she buys a prepackaged block which is not the same consistency or shape but will do just fine.  Again, hypothetically speaking.)

3)  Run out to the herb garden and snip some basil leaves.  (Or send your daughter to snip said leaves because your hungry husband is home from work and ready for dinner and you need to get things moving along more quickly.  Yes, hypothetically.)
Now you're all ready to assemble Caprese Salad...and have it on the table lickety split!






 There are no precise measurements for this salad, just a simple process.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Slice fresh tomatoes into thick slices.

Slice the mozzarella into similarly sized slices.

Stack a slice of tomato, a slice of mozzarella, and a basil leaf.
 Repeat until you're out of tomatoes.

Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.

Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

Sprinkle coarse salt and freshly ground pepper.




    Tonight I served this salad with Parmesan Crusted Tilapia, but it goes just as nicely with grilled chicken or with beef.  

    I arranged each "stack" separately this evening, but I have also arranged them in overlapping rows, as in this picture:



    And I plan to try Caprese hors d'oeuvres by alternating basil leaves, small balls of mozzarella, and cherry tomatoes on a skewer and then drizzling the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over a tray of those.  Or I may even try this if my basil leaves grow big enough.  Aren't they cute?


    Caprese salad on skewer
    ~Pin~


    What do you think?  Is this a good way to use that abundance of tomatoes from your garden?





    Looking for a recipe from another week?




    2 comments:

    1. I think you should call this one "Hypothetical Salad"! It sounds AND looks scrumptious! You're definitely the Salad Queen.

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...