As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Salad On Tuesday: Week 12 {Autumn Chopped Salad}


Today's post is the last one in my series on summer salads. 

But wait!  Did I really sneak in an autumn salad here at the end?  You bet I did!  (And I'll bet you're not even surprised.)

Saturday was one of those days that portended fall.  It was dark and rainy all day long and, inside my air conditioned home, I could pretend that it was cool and that the air was crisp. Stepping outside would have ruined the illusion, so I just didn't.  It was the perfect day to be inside anyway.  

So we did indoor things and baked and cleaned and got ready for Sunday's birthday bash.  When the dinner hour approached, I lit a crème brûlée candle, put pecan chicken in the oven, and the girls and I prepared this Autumn Chopped Salad.  I must say that it was a hit...even with the Salad Skeptic (whose identity I will protect, although you can probably guess who he is). Hooray!

If you want to pretend it's fall, try this salad.  Or if you're still eking out the last bit of summer, try it just because it's good!






Ingredients:
  • 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
  • 3 red pears, cored and chopped
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 6 oz. crumbled blue cheese

Dressing Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
  1. Toss together the lettuce, pears, dried cranberries, pecans, bacon, and blue cheese* in a large serving bowl.  
  2. Whisk together dressing ingredients.  Pour desired amount over salad mixture and toss to coat.**



* Because not everyone cares for blue cheese, I omitted it from the salad mixture, then served it separately to add as desired.

** When I make this salad again, I will not pour the dressing over the whole salad, but will let each person add it to their own serving.  Otherwise, the leftovers are soggy.  Believe it or not, there were leftovers, even though each of us ate a healthy portion.  You might want to consider halving this recipe if you are serving it to a small number of people.  (On the other hand, you might want leftovers!)



And now, on to autumn!  (If only the weather would cooperate with me!)





Looking for a recipe from another week?

Week 1:   BLT Macaroni Salad
Week 2:   Pesto Pasta Salad


4 comments:

  1. Would you describe a perfect weather day? For me, an autumn day is about 60F with a distinct chill. I'm wondering if you feel the same way or you're just wanting the kind of day we're enjoying...in the 70s with low humidity.

    Oh that salad sounds yummy...John would love the blue cheese and I would do it with ranch dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Vee (and anyone else)...

    A perfect weather day would be 65°, definitely low humidity. I like to wear jeans and layers (covers more), so a slight chill is great!

    But, I would gladly take the 70's and low humidity! It is 80° and sultry here...not in my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum!

    I am glad though that you said we could leave the bleu cheese out of it! Don't love that!

    I am with you on the perfect weather day! Sounds delightful! I'm ready! Come on Autumn!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...