As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bread On Tuesday ~ Week 1 {Sweet Potato Bread}

After a post-holiday meltdown last January, I hatched a plan to try a new soup every Tuesday throughout the winter and share the recipes with you.  I do enjoy "theme nights" on the dinner menu, so I really enjoyed working on this series, Soup On Tuesdays.  (Links to all ten recipes are found ~here~.)

Come summer, I decided to take on a new challenge with a variation on the theme, and during the summer months, we had Salad On Tuesdays.  I found some real keepers, ones that we will be eating again this summer, Tuesday or no.

I have hatched another plan!  This winter, I will be making a different bread recipe every week. I must confess that Kati has made most of the breads in our household for several years.  She loves to bake and try new recipes...and we are very willing to taste test.  (Noble of us, don't you think?)  But I am going to put on my own baker's hat this winter and the goal will be to make ten different breads and to share the recipes with you on Tuesdays.  


~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Yesterday, I told you about my ailing Henrietta...which means no new pictures. (Whimper.)  For Week 1, I had to dig back into my photo archives and share a bread recipe for which I could find a picture.  No worries.  I had a photo of this sweet potato bread, and I don't think you'll be sorry.  We'll start this series off with a bang!  


Tonight's bread...




Ingredients:
1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup sweet potatoes, mashed*
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup milk, scalded
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
4 1/2 cups flour

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, soften yeast in the lukewarm water.
  2. Blend mashed sweet potatoes with melted butter until light and fluffy.  Add with milk, salt, and sugar to yeast.  Beat until light.
  3. With a wooden spoon, stir in enough of the flour to make a soft dough.
  4. Put in a well-greased bowl and cover with a towel.  Set in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
  5. Divide in half**  and put each half in a greased loaf pan (9x5).  Let rise to the top of the pans.
  6. Bake 30 to 35 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven until golden brown.  



NOTES:  
* You may use fresh or canned sweet potato.
** This is a sticky, soft dough.  You will not be able to shape it into loaves, but it will come out just fine and loafy!

(The original recipe can be found ~here~.   The recipe I have shared includes my own tweaking.)




And he said unto them, When ye pray, say...
'Give us day by day our daily bread.'


6 comments:

  1. The sweet potato bread looks and sounds delicious, Cheryl, looking forward to you sharing your other bread recipes. I have a weakness for breads, now if you just lived next door to me, I would have it made. ~smile~
    Enjoy your day.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet potatoes, this bread sounds yummy. I have to watch my sugar though, so I may have to wait to try this. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about this recipe. I'll have to dig it out and thaw some of the mashed sweet potato I have in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I may make this for dinner tonight! We are having a large family over for dinner and we are planning a good soup or something easy on the tummy as some of them have just gotten over being sick. This bread sounds so good!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am mourning Henrietta with you. Although we didn't name our computer (hmmmm) you are aware that it has been suffering from the same symptoms. Our connection is still slow but I was able to get the pictures up yesterday. I hadn't even tried in quite some time so I was delighted that it worked, but I'm also apprehensive about getting too confident. One day at a time...

    I have a new-found love for sweet potatoes so of course I should be putting it in bread! I should have thought of it myself. Then again, that's what friends are for, right?

    I've missed peeking in on your sweet family and lovely home Cheryl. It was a long full holiday season but the old familiar schedule is feeling really good. Really good!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ** I am booking you 2 years in advance to plan my 50th. Beautiful party!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I've had fun pinning just now. You don't mind pinning do you? If so, let me know and I'll remove them. I just started pinning a week ago. I could get hooked.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...