As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bread On Tuesdays ~ Week 2 {Cheryl's Semi-Sweet Cornbread}


Henrietta is still at the doctor (computer repair shop), so I am delving into the photo archives for one more Tuesday. 


Here in the Mid-Atlantic, folks feel strongly about their cornbread.  Some like it "wet" (also known as corn pone in some locales). Some like it dry. Some insist that it be made in a cast iron skillet. Some like it sweet.  My father-in-law, whose roots were in the south, scorned sweet cornbread.  "That's not cornbread," he'd say. 

My own cornbread probably doesn't please any of the passionate cornbread makers.    It is simply...simple.  It mixes up in a flash, has just a touch of sweetness, and can be made into muffins or baked in a square pan or plopped over leftover chili and baked for a great casserole.  

How do you prefer your cornbread?  Are you a cornbread connoisseur?







Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg, slightly beaten

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Grease a 9-inch baking pan.**
  3. Combine first five ingredients.
  4. Combine milk, melted butter, and egg.  Stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes**, or until top is golden brown.


NOTES:
* I have used as little as 1/8 cup sugar.  Adjust to your own preference.
** If you use muffin pans, bake for 18-20 minutes.  


But he answered and said, 
It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone
but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. 
Matthew 4:4

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good pan of corn bread to me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to settle on one recipe for corn bread....but just seeing your post planted the "corn bread urge" in me! It should go fine with the beef stew I have in the crock pot for our dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like wet cornbread but I also invented this corn bread and we all enjoy it.

    Any standard cornbread recipe for a drier bread and add canned corn until the mixture can't hold anymore. Bake in a cake pan. It is your bread and a starchy veggie too and with butter it is really good side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! People certainly can be passionate about their cornbread. I like mine a bit moist with a great crust and a little sweet and cooked in a skillet. ☺ That doesn't make me a connoisseur, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My recipe is very similar to yours! We like it - it's easy, tasty and can be used in a multitude of ways, like yours.

    I do want to get a cast iron skillet (once we get a gas stove instead of electric) and try making cornbread in that. I think I'd like it a bit crispy....

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a cornbread lover and much prefer it sweet! Actually, I prefer everything sweet :)

    Look how delicious your plate of muffins are ~ I could make a dent in that plate for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this recipe, we love cornbread, especially with collard greens. DH likes his cornbread paper thin. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always used your recipe, but I've also experimented lately. I found a corn pone recipe that some of us liked. Others didn't like the consistency. I've also made honey cornbread twice recently and it has been a huge hit with all seven of us-- even picky Owen!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...