As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, March 21, 2015

"Some Trifling Haphazard Thing..."


Amid the busyness that is this weekend, I picked up a favorite book, Keep a Quiet Heart by Elisabeth Elliot. I had only a minute to read, but a minute was enough. These words by Annie Keary (1825-1879) in the forward of the book spoke great wisdom and challenged me with a fresh way to look at my work. 

I think I find most help in trying to look on all the interruptions and hindrances to work that one has planned out for oneself as discipline, trials sent by God to help one against getting selfish over one's work. Then one can feel that perhaps one's true work -- one's work for God -- consists in doing some trifling haphazard thing that has been thrown into one's day. It is not a waste of time, as one is tempted to think, it is the most important part of the work of the day -- the part one can best offer to God. After such a hindrance, do not rush after the planned work, trust that the time to finish it will be given sometime, and keep a quiet heart about it. 


7 comments:

  1. Oh that is good...sort of the expanded version of look for God in the interruptions. Sweet photo of the scholar, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this quote. I'm pondering...
    We had an interruption in our plans today that resulted in some good things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quote! Gives a whole new twist on interruptions - such truths!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisabeth is a favorite, what a wonderful quote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really good! I really like Elisabeth Elliot, such wisdom!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...that is good. Sometimes, God has done some of His best work in me during those times. Thanks for sharing this, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...