As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, March 9, 2015

Sunday Snapshots: An Unbirthday


Yesterday, we gathered to celebrate the unbirthday of Ron's mom. It was an "unbirthday" because she was born around eighty-seven years ago on Leap Day. Technically, she has only had twenty-one birthdays, making her the same age as Kati. On their next birthdays, they will both be twenty-two. Says Kati, "Not many people can say that they are the same age as their grandmother!"   



Here's the birthday girl with a relatively small representation of her family. (She is the mother of eight, grandmother of seventeen, and great-grandmother of thirty-two!) 



Bekah made a delicious birthday cake for our celebration -- orange marmalade sandwiched between layers of yellow cake, all covered with vanilla butter cream icing, and garnished with candied orange peel. So good.




Bonus: Take a look at those knees! Cute or what?!  :D






13 comments:

  1. Your mother-in-law looks so young and happy at her birthday celebration, Cheryl. The birthday cake sounds and looks wonderful--congratulations to the accomplished baker! Happy times at your home- Cute stockings! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, an unbirthday sounds PERFECT to me! Many blessings to the unbirthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! Happy Un-Birthday, Grandma! The cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty looking cake. Is that the Orange Marmalade Cake from author Jan Karon & her Mitford books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Melissa...although that sounds delicious too!! Bekah used a cake recipe and an icing recipe from The Cupcake Diaries and then put it all together.

      Delete
  5. I always thought it would be fun to have a birthday on February 29th. Looks like I was right! :-)
    Bekah's cake look scrumptious!
    Your granddaughter's tights brought back a childhood memory for me {sniff, sniff} When I was young I was a tomboy and was forever getting holes in my tights. Mom, being frugal AND an excellent seamstress, would make her own patches and applique them/ If the hole developed a run, she would camouflage the run with a flower stem or a balloon string. Thanks for stirring the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to her! What a good picture! I said that just the other day...what do people do who were born on leap year? And of course, an "un-birthday" lol. The cakes sounds and looks wonderful. The tights are adorable. How my grand daughter Tella would love those. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Very, Merry, Unbirthday to Ron's Mom! How fun.

    Bekah did a wonderful job on the cake and with sweet folks like you all to celebrate with, I'm sure she had a great time!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is a beautiful 21! What a great photo that is...everyone looking fantastic at the same time. The birthday cake sounds delicious...Bekah is becoming quite the baker. The knees are the bunny's whiskers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mother in law is beautiful. How nice to have helpers around to bake cakes! And the knees are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Un-Birthday to your pretty mother-in-law! The cake is very pretty, too, and I'm sure it tasted just as good as it looks. Love your beautiful photos showing the fun celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I see a very special celebration coming up next year for those 22 year olds!. My sister was born on Leap Year, too. Those knees are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your MIL is such a cutie. Looking great for 87! An inspiration for sure. And Bekah is geting to be quite the baker. Cakes sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...