As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, March 7, 2015

Gathering the Moments of February







Seven days into March, I am reflecting on February. 

Oh, there were simply too many memory-making moments to just pass over this month, even if Henrietta's obstinance did pose a problem and even if the incidentals of my schedule did leave little time for blogging. So in the spirit of "better late than never" and for the sake of my own marking of moments, I have looked back at the longest-shortest month and gathered some of the joyful, the cold, the beautiful, the new, the sweet, the special, and the everyday moments. 

And the snow. Did I mention snow? 

Family would have to be February's theme. 

We started off with a visit with my sister, niece, and great-nieces. Linda moved into her new apartment in November and in three short months has made it into a gorgeous, welcoming home. (Maybe someday she'll give me permission to do a home tour to share with you. Linda?) She served us a yummy lunch, we enjoyed the little girls, and then we perused the vintage cookbooks

We had our usual Sunday afternoon gatherings (no birthdays this month...can you believe it?!) and the younger bakers made desserts. They've made desserts before, but this month they began also to serve their own creations. They took this very seriously and I think it's great practice for them.

In mid-February, we had a big celebration when Ryan, Sarah, Eve, Nora, Peter, and Baby Paul came for the weekend! Paul was introduced to his great-grandparents, his aunt and uncle, and his cousins. On that Saturday evening, we gathered for a family meal. We began with hugs and catching up and conversation and children playing. In the middle was some story-reading and an impromptu talent show with everything from the fastest recitation of "Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers" that you ever did hear (by my mom), to some piano solos, to card tricks, to making a Lego airplane using the pieces from a Lego ice cream truck! Then, just as we thought the evening was winding down, Ryan turned up the iPod a few decibels and the party revved up! And when I say "a good time was had by all," that is exactly what I mean.

We wrapped up February with a grand mid-winter sleepover. Oh my goodness, it is fun being a grandparent! It is a delight to watch the children grow and to see their personalities blossom. We marvel at their uniqueness, their humor, and the fact that they are as old as they are. (And that we are as old as we are.)


February was also freezing! And did I mention snow? Brrrrr... 




"One generation shall praise thy works to another, 
and shall declare thy mighty acts." 
(Psalm 145:4)


10 comments:

  1. I often feel that I repeat myself when I comment on your blog posts, but I truly mean what I say each time I say it. Your family times are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family is the theme of not only February here, but this blog. I enjoy seeing the photos and isn't it fun to see the personalities shine in them?! What a cute little pouter there...not happy with the camera? That's how I am around a camera, too. I should work on that. March will be brighter and warmer, but the good thing about family is that they provide warmth no matter what the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I read your post I said, February is family, but Vee is right, you are all about family. Love it! And beautiful photos of happy faces. And may it warm up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say yes to all the above comments! Family is the theme of your blog---it is quite evident in everything you write and in all the photos. I just love it all! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful moments, Cheryl. Delight in every photo. The dance party is my favorite!

    Love you all!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like lots of happy memories were made in February!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much beautiful family time shown in these lovely photos. You really packed in a lot of personal warmth in the cold month of February

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't express to you enough how much I enjoy seeing all your family moments that we get a glimpse of in your pictures! You can just feel the love in your family in addition to seeing it. You get such good pictures too. (think I might have mentioned that once or twice, but it's just so true!) Anyway, enjoyed this as always

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely, better late than never. And what a treat to have all these photos to remind you of the memories and special moments in February 2015. Such a treasure trove you create each month.

    Wishing you a beautiful March and a splendid week ahead...
    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a jam packed month for your family. Hope Henrietta is back to normal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...