As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Bright Spots in the Bleak Midwinter


Is anyone else ready for spring?!!

Oh, I know, I know. I don't really have much to complain about. 

Here I am in the Mid-Atlantic in the midst of a winter that is far less bleak than last year's brutal one and so much milder than that of our friends in the Northeast. We have had our share of milder days and not a lot of snow over these winter months. 

I am almost ashamed to say that I am weary of winter.

And yet, today there's ice and more gray. The gathering that we have planned for this weekend is threatened by bad weather. Blah.





So yes. I have turned the corner and I am looking ahead to spring.

Problem is...it is only February 11th and we still have a ways to go. 


Meanwhile...rather than complain (was I complaining?) I am going to pour myself another cup of coffee and think about some of bright spots of winter.


~ A visit with my sister was a bright spot last week!
Mom, Bekah, and I made a little road trip and spent the afternoon with Linda, my niece Amy, and my great-nieces Isabel and Ivy.








photo by Bekah


~ A literal "bright spot" on my dining room table. 

Ron made a new trencher from a rafter that was in the old barn on our property. (The barn was beyond repair and was demolished years ago.) We had seen something similar in a store in Lancaster County and Ron decided to DIY. I filled it with some chunky potpourri and a parade of votives. 




~ Soup. 

Enough said.


Are you finding any bright spots this winter? Are you ready for spring? 

19 comments:

  1. Cheryl, These are all wonderful brights spots for dull, grey winter mornings. They all add a touch of heaven as I scroll through your post.

    Susan Branch on her newest post says she likes making the winter count so she's ready when Spring comes. I just love that way of looking at this days when spring seems so far away yet.

    Wishing you a beautiful day....
    Brenda
    xox



    ReplyDelete
  2. Bright spots are there if you look for them! But I also love a gray day. I really like what your husband created. It's perfect for your house. Beautiful photos of your great nieces, and love that dresser top--if that's what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen those trenchers sold for $50.00!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the trencher and the soup looks wonderful. Such a fun day when you get to spend it with babies.
    They are a joy and brighten up any day. Blessings, Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That trencher is gorgeous!

    Listen, I am in such a foul mood that I just complained about the sunlight glaring of the five feet of snow. I have to go put this afternoon and I will definitely have my sunglasses.

    Hope that the plans for your weekend can sally forth and that as each day lengthens (it is finally still daylight at five!) we will all be feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. off the not of the or maybe off of

      and I have to go out not put

      someday, I'll edit in advance

      Delete
  6. Hi Cheryl,
    I always feel like I have returned home when I visit you....thank you..
    yes, I am thankful for the calm winter provides.....(when my teens aren't driving in it anyway:)
    but on the whole just a time to be more still....no grass to mow,,,or windows to clean...brightness of snow everywhere...that is how I feel today anyhow:)) March is the month that gets me...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we are ready for Spring though last year's winter was much worse than this year. It has been terribly grey and cloudy most days this winter. I am rejoicing in today's sunshine.

    We have lots of bright spots and joys, as I know you do. I will pray that your weekend plans do not get ruined!

    Ron did a great job on that trencher!

    Love to all
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I am quite ready for spring! It's been mild here also--but I want a little more warmth. Your husband is quite the craftsman! I love your new trencher.
    We took a short drive on Saturday to the mountains as we all needed a change of scenery. Your visit with family looks like a lot of fun---adorable children. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wrote a post about planning for our spring garden...but, I love winter and what it has to offer, including beautiful snow, the chance to wear soft wools around your neck, mittens, hot cocoa and warm stews...I try to love the season I am in as much as possible! LOVE the new trencher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That ice was so unusual! At least I had never noticed it like that before. The trencher is fantastic. Ron is so talented! And of course soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So far and I hope I don't ruin it for us but we have had a mild winter. I can't even see snow on our Cascade mountain range. That won't bode well for summer. But...I'm always ready for Spring. Things are popping up here and there that are giving us the promise to hold onto. Love the centerpiece on your dining table. Very nice. The photos of the littles are all so so sweet! Your ice shots are pretty. Your whole post brightens up my day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, Spring just can't come soon enough over here! Temps are plunging this week. Your trencher is absolutely stunning and the woven runner is equally as beautiful! Hope your weekend plans aren't spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been having the same thoughts about winter. I am so ready for spring but really this winter has not been as bad as last....so why am I complaining? After a beautiful weekend (60's) we are now back in the grips of winter again..I think that's what did it for me, I got a wee taste of warmer weather. Your ice shots are very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post was a bright spot in my day. Beautiful photos....little ones are so sweet. The tam on the baby looks like it was made by loving hands as well as your new beautiful Trencher. Your soup looks so nourishing, perfect for a winter's day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those children are definitely bright spots in your day! How adorable. I love the luminaire (?) on your dining table. I need to do something like that. Never can have too many candles during the winter, in my opinion. Takes the edge off the winter cold and replaces it with a nice, warm glow. It helps us forget what it's really like out there. :-) Have a wonderful day, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the table set with the trencher and votives:) We, too, have had a very mild winter. I actually wouldn't mind being snowed in for a few days, but that's because it would be a very rare occurrence around here. We have planted a few things in our garden. We have to hurry up before the summer heat arrives and kills everything off. A bright spot for me was a phone call from my sister this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great post Cheryl. We just had our first tiny bit of the white stuff yesterday...problem was, most of the white stuff was sleet with only about 1 inch of snow...not enough to even be that pretty. I do like the gray days because they are so much better for photography (and my eyes are SO sensitive to the sun). My bright spots are tons of beautiful cardinals and other types of birds having a feeding frenzy outside my windows! Have a good time on your break, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a gorgeous homely post.

    Today is the first day of Autumn here in Australia, my favourite time of the year.

    Love the pictures of icicles, something we never see here :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...