As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, February 26, 2015

Savoring


When we first learned that our faraway family was going to be moving much closer to us, we looked forward to weekends when we could all be together! We had the first of those weekends recently and oh, the memory-making moments!

Through the years, the Lord has taught me to see the present as His gift.

It wasn't always that way. When I was younger, I was constantly looking ahead. To growing up. Getting married. Having the baby sleep through the night. Improvement in our finances. Next week. Next year.

But somewhere along the way, He taught me to be still. To savor.

And on this weekend, I savored.



Calling Papa at his office

Papa's home!



Operation French Toast


Baby Paul meets his great-grandmother (Ron's mom)


A Family Gathering


Gampy (my dad) and his great-granddog Lucy :)




Aunt Kristin meets Paul



Four generations

Four generations being silly!






the DJ's






"Today is mine. Tomorrow is none of my business. If I peer anxiously into the fog of the future, I will strain my spiritual eyes so that I will not clearly see what is required of me now."  (Elisabeth Elliot)

18 comments:

  1. What wonderful, WONDERFUL pictures! I love getting glimpses into your family gatherings and moments. And oh how I wish I could remember those wise words... be still. Enjoy the present. The future is promised to no one. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful quote from Betty Elliott to go with your photos. I know you count your blessings to have your family all together, or almost, so often. I too used to think forward to the next thing, it's a slowly learned lesson for me to celebrate and think ahead just to today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one cute baby! Makes me need to find a baby to hug and kiss on the cheeks. ;)

    Our son and his wife now live less than two miles from us. But our daughter, her husband, and our five grandchildren live 1,000 miles away near Boston. I miss being a part of their everyday life but I know they live where God wants them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was laughing then tearing up! What an amazing weekend! Treasured moments from beginning to end!

    I love Paul's little face! What a beautiful family, Cheryl. Every one. I love the dancing photos!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what fun! What joy in the camp! Party on! I am quite certain that your dad doesn't know quite what to make of his crew...hahahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl, what wonderful times at your home! Enjoying the moment--one of life's greatest lessons. Every photo is filled with joy! How blessed you are to have four generations all under your roof! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that quote at the end, Cheryl. What a very precious time that you've recorded with these photos. That first one is my very favorite of the little babe sitting next to his father. Or I'm guessing it's his father. So sweet. What a very good lesson to learn to savor what's right here right now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the quote by Elisabeth Elliot. You are a pretty lady, Cheryl, and you have such a beautiful family and you have such fun together. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is my absolute favorite post of your family gatherings. I love all the pictures! From the joy on the children's faces when Papa arrives home, to the wide-open laughter of great fun, to a simple (but oh so deep) look that says "I cherish you". All moments to savor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How precious these pictures are - those little bare feet and chubby cheeks melt your heart. Memories made indeed with so much love in these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a party going on and it was at YOUR house! What precious memories your lovely family you have captured!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos have captured the fun and joy of wonderful family moments. I am happy just viewing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Precious moments. Your words were thought provoking. We're in similar places at the same time, except I've been through empty nest. Tough time, but God has provided. Now we're filling up again in different houses in 3 different states. Our times together are limited and precious. I hope you won't mind if I borrow your thought... redeeming the present.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun, I love all your photos, it looks like you really captured the enjoyment of all the family members. I have to tell you this is exactly what the Lord is teaching me right now....learning to savor the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet! I would love to get my hands on that scrumptious baby Paul. He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How sweet and so much fun! So many family members gathered in one place, equals precious memories :)

    Such a beautiful finishing quote.

    God Bless,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so right, and it is so difficult to live in the present! What a wonderful weekend! I admire your ability to capture it in your photos. Especially love the baby sitting on the couch:) We finally have some babies/toddlers at church and I've so enjoyed getting to spend some time with them. Also, I am still loving your hair:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...