As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, February 6, 2015

Sweet Potato Muffins


We have a luxurious number of sweet potatoes in our pantry this winter, so when I bake them for a meal, I just fill up the pan and bake a bunch at once. After dinner, I peel the ones we didn't eat and pop them in the fridge, and then I have some all ready to go. Sweet potato pie...sweet potato casserole...sweet potato bread...sweet potato biscuits... 

On Monday, I had a small amount of sweet potato in the fridge that I needed to use. I wondered if anyone had ever made sweet potato muffins. A quick Google search told me that lots of people had! I decided to try this recipe from williams-sonoma.com and it is a winner! Moist and sweet, a hint of orange enhancing the sweet potato flavor, and that crunchy cinnamon sugar topping...what's not to like?



SWEET POTATO MUFFINS
makes 12 muffins


Ingredients for topping:
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon


Ingredients for muffins:
2 sweet potatoes, cooked and cooled (I used what I had, about 2 cups)
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup milk
grated zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped


Directions:
To make the topping, stir together sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 standard muffins cups.

In a bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt.

In bowl of stand mixer, combine eggs, sugar, oil, and milk and beat for 1 minute. Add mashed sweet potato and beat until completely blended.

Add flour mixture and stir just until moistened.

Fold in pecans and orange zest, just until evenly distributed. Do not overmix.

Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pans. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar topping, dividing evenly.

Bake until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm with butter. 




When would you eat these? For dessert? With afternoon tea? Breakfast? (All of the above?)

15 comments:

  1. These sound great! I wonder if I could use oat flour instead of regular flour? May have to experiment!

    Thanks for the recipe.

    Deanna


    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the above and the only way I am eating sweet potatoes. ; >

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness I'd eat these until I was sick... They sound soooo good! But like you said what's not to like? I wonder if you could just put in pumpkin instead of sweet potato too? Not that it matters for me...I've got to eliminate these type of scrumptious things 99% of the time anymore. Maybe once in a long, long, while I could indulge...sigh. But to answer your question, I'd eat them ALL of those ways, lol. But I think my favorite would be in the morning with a cup of tea! Enjoy your week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd eat them here, I'd eat them there.
    I'd eat home, or anywhere.
    I'd eat them up, I'd eat them down.
    I'd eat them in the country, I'd eat them in the town.
    I'd eat them morning, I'd eat them night.
    I'd eat them left, I'd eat them right.
    I'd eat them tomorrow, I'd eat them today.
    I'd eat them as I walk along the way.

    Okay, so you get the point, right? Not only do they look marvelously tasty, they inspired a Seussian moment ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe is a keeper. Need to get the sweets! Lovely photos, as always, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound delicious. I'll be right over...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl, I would eat them all day long! Your recipe looks similar to one that I've made. Christiana Campbell's in Colonial Williamsburg has the most delicious ones I've ever eaten. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never tried them but I will now! HAve a nice weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  10. They sound (and look) scrumptious. I'd eat them for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great looking and sounding recipe, which I saved. I would eat these any time.

    Thanks for sharing ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, i would eat them for dessert, tea, and breakfast!! Love the Seuss reference above :-). Lovelyness

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, just what I need. A yummy recipe.

    I have just harvested my sweet potatoes from the veggie garden, amazing how I found this post just in time :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, just what I need, a yummy recipe.

    I have just harvested my sweet potatoes from the veggie garden. How amazing that I came upon this recipe today.

    God Bless,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...