As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, February 12, 2015

A Sweet Way to Say "Be My Valentine"


I'll be away from the blog for a few days, still working on those bright spots for the weekend. I plan to be back early next week with some weekend snapshots and a new Homeschooling: Finding Joy in the Journey post.  

In the meantime, I'm pulling this recipe out of the archives, because I thought you might need an easy-peasy idea for a last minute Valentine treat.  This could be it!



♥ Valentine Shortbread Cookies ♥

Cream together 2 sticks (yikes...yes that's 2 sticks!) of butter with 1/2 cup sugar.  
Beat until light and fluffy.

Stir in 2 1/4 cups flour and mix until dough holds together.

Add 4-5 drops of red food coloring to tint the cookies a Valentine-y pink.
Mix thoroughly.

Roll out about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut out cookies with a heart-shaped cookie cutter.





Bake at 300°F (lower temp than most cookies) for 15 minutes.

(These cookies do not brown.  When you take them out, they will look much the same as when you put them in.  Do not be tempted to leave them in longer or you will get a hard cookie, not melt-in-your-mouth shortbread goodness.)



Allow cookies to cool for 10 minutes; transfer to cooling racks to continue cooling.
When completely cooled, drizzle with melted chocolate chips.
(I melted some chips in the microwave, placed the melted chocolate in a baggie, and cut a tiny hole in the corner.  Then I squeezed the bag as I made a simple back and forth motion.)
Allow chocolate some time to harden.





You can fill a cellophane bag with cookies and give them to your Valentines.

Or serve them at a party.

But be sure to keep one or two, so that you can enjoy it (them) with a cup of afternoon tea or coffee.








Do you have any special plans for this Valentine/Presidents Day/Arctic blast weekend?

11 comments:

  1. No special plans at all! Just a quiet weekend of staying in and puttering around the house. Tim works this weekend, his last one for quite a while! Hurray!

    I hope you enjoy those bright spots this weekend.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Cheryl, I love shortbread and these look wonderful. We will go out for dinner on Valentine's Day and then probably come home to snuggle by the fire. Enjoy your weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering just thinking of the softness of these beauties. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies look so delectable. They will make any Valentine's heart (and tummy) go pitter-patter with delight.

    Enjoy your time away. Happy Valentine's Day!

    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! My favorite cookies are shortbread. Love the photograph, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum, these look good! My daughter and I made cookies last night, but they aren't nearly as pretty as yours.
    Happy Valentine's Day! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing says "be mine" like cookies with chocolate squiggles! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cookies look so attractive--just the bit of chocolate "dribbles" -- and shortbread is such a treat. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, yum, yum!! There's nothing wrong with butter. :-) So much better than artificial stuff. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Valentine's Day to you and your family! These cookies are another keeper recipe from you! So pretty too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too late for Valentine's Day 2015, but I've filed this recipe away for next year as we just love shortbread cookies! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...