As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, November 16, 2015

A Foundation of Trust




God is graciously bringing our family through a time of testing. (You can read our story ~here~.) I promised to share some lessons that the Lord has taught me (and is still teaching me!) through this journey.

These are some of my musings...
 


I have learned the importance of having a prior foundation of trust. 

Trust before the trial. I could rest in Him during our hours of darkness because I know the Good Shepherd. I know that He is good. I know that His plan is always right. I know that He is just. 

He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he. (Deuteronomy 32:4)

If I had not known the bedrock of faith in my Father, I might have wondered where He was. There were certainly days when it appeared that He had not heard our prayers, those days when things seemingly went from bad to worse. I might have been tempted to doubt. But because I am convinced of His sovereignty and I am convinced that He is only, always good, then I could look through eyes of faith and know that He was working all things for our good

"It is a poor faith which can only trust God when friends are true, the body full of health, and the business profitable; but that is true faith which holds by the Lord's faithfulness when friends are gone, when the body is sick, when spirits are depressed, and the light of our Father's countenance is hidden. A faith which can say, in the direst trouble, 'Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him,' is heaven-born faith."  ~ Charles Spurgeon

Can I encourage you today to check your foundation? Do you know Him as your Good Shepherd? Are you convinced that all His ways are just? Seek to know Him before the way grows dark, so that when the hard times come, you will rest on the bedrock of faith.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!




13 comments:

  1. Love that Spurgeon quote!

    Oh for Grace to trust Him more!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing all of this. You have me singing that great song now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Cheryl, thank you for sharing your faith. Your foundation of trust is a wonderful testimony to me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is such wisdom in this post! It's just soo true. I have been trying to impart this very truth to the young girls I am mentoring. To lean heavily on God when times are tough one must have put the time in to build the faith before the trouble befalls us. Not to say He isn't there ALWAYS because of course He is, but there is soo much more to draw from our foundations are strong and steady and we've labored and spent time building. LOVE that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To your very last sentence...indeed your whole post...I say Amen! Great quote by Spurgeon for this post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great post to read this morning. Oh for grace to trust Jesus more.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to hears your testimony and read the verse you added from Deut. It's not uncommon these days to hear people invoke the name of the Lord only when they want to question Him. In these trying days we see more and more our need for faith and a daily walk with Him. So many lost, so little time. Thank you for sharing the details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So well said, and I love the words "trust before trial." What a difference it makes --especially when we don't see the answers when we want them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Profound. Good sharing here, Cheryl. God is Sovereign. He can do what He wants. While He is not safe; He is all-loving and works with our best interests in mind. Love to all...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Profound indeed, Cheryl! Without the foundation, there will be no hope! and no trust! Your family have been in my thoughts and prayers, and will remain there!
    Much love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the "trust before the trial"... there is so much truth to this! Continuing to pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking time to share what you're learning. Praying for Ron's continuing journey to health (and for all of you who are doubling up on duty to support and care for him).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...