As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Lord Provides


The Lord has provided for our needs during these weeks of Ron's illness and hospitalization. 

Some of that provision has been through our insurance. Some has been through gifts from our natural family and our family in Christ. Some provision has been financial. Some has been the meeting of our physical needs. Some has been help in logistics and getting people where they need to be. Some has been emotional support, compassion, and listening ears.





Here is a story of one night when the Lord provided something I needed:

On a Sunday afternoon, Kati and Bekah brought lunch from Chipotle up to the hospital and the three of us ate our lunch together in an empty waiting room.

Later that afternoon, Ron was moved to a new room because his doctor wanted him to be on the surgical floor. It was a busy time, as they got him settled, and we met a host of different nurses and staff. I stayed close, as I wanted to hear all of the care summaries. He was not feeling well at all (nausea, chills, and fever) and I was hoping that his fever would stabilize (it didn't) and I wanted to see the wound when they did the dressing change, so I continued to stay. The evening went on and I never got dinner.

I was fine for a while, but around 9:30-10-ish, I was feeling weird and emotional, discouraged and overwhelmed...and hungry! I thought that I'd have to wait until I got home to eat because it was so late. And then I turned around and {LO and BEHOLD!} there was leftover communion bread!

You need to know that we are a part of a home fellowship. Our friend Gary bakes the most delicious home made bread for days that we are taking communion. That morning, Gary and Frances had given the leftover bread to the girls and they had brought a big chunk up to Ron! It had been sitting on a table behind me, out of my line of vision.

I reached over and broke off a piece. I felt like David and his men when they ate the shewbread! That night, it tasted better than any gourmet meal, and I felt so refreshed after I ate it! 


Yes, the Lord provides for our needs and He proved it to me again that lonely Sunday evening in a hospital room.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and oer;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh for grace to trust Him more!


 
The story of Ron's illness:

Musings and lessons learned:


15 comments:

  1. I love how you are seeing God in the Details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did provide more than just physical nourishment, He provided emotional strength and a reminder of His best provision for us!

    I love seeing Him at work. Thanks for sharing these stories with us, and thank you for having eyes to 'see' Him at work!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story made me tear up....I love how our God cares for us! I am soo loving hearing about all these stories of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm tearing up with Debbie. That was a very special provision for you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! Your posts about the Lord's faithfulness to your family keep getting BETTER!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree with Deanna--having the eyes to 'see' Him at work. Thank you for sharing how the Lord provided your needs, dear Cheryl. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that must have tasted so very good. What a blessing when you were so very tired and hungry and emotional. (Reminds me of that C.S. Lewis quote about medical phenomena.) Praise God. He knows just what is needed. I think you must have praised Him all the way home. This post is a real faith-builder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl, How beautiful and consoling to hear your story today. What a blessing indeed, as Vee has already mentioned.

    I love to see His kindness revealed in so many unexpected ways.

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend, Cheryl, to you and yours!
    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. God's care is so loving. I can imagine how wonderful the bread would have tasted. He takes care of us in unexpected ways, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a wonderful story about God's tender care.

    That song goes through my head a lot.

    Have a lovely, happy Thanksgiving week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been MIA for weeks - actually a few months. I caught up on the journey you and your loved ones have been on. I will pray for continued restoration of health. Praise God for his blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful post! It's times such as these that make us lean on the Lord's provisions. I hope and pray that your husband is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. God never fails to supply our need and surprise us! I thought of David too, as I was reading your account. Made me smile and cry. Many blessings, and may this be a good Thanksgiving for you and your family, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheryl, thanks for sharing your experience. I hope Ron will be better soon *and* that none of you will see the inside of a hospital again for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...