As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, November 19, 2015

Daily Grace


During the worst days of Ron's illness, I often prayed the simplest of prayers: "Please, Lord, give me grace for the day." 


Those were days that I could not look too far ahead. The path was uncertain. So I simply prayed for grace for the day.


Thoughts of how we would meet Ron's needs when he was able to come home were overwhelming. I didn't even know what the needs would be. So I only prayed for grace for the day.


I certainly could not allow myself to think about the holidays...shopping, hosting, celebrating. Too much. I only needed grace for the day.




Each morning as I woke, that was my prayer.

As I drove to the hospital, those words were on my lips.

As I rode the elevator and then walked down the hallway to his room, not knowing what we'd be facing that day, those words were in my heart.

Grace for the day.

And each day, He provided the grace that I needed. 



These days, the path is brighter. Our thoughts are clearer. We can think ahead a bit. We are making plans.

But I am still depending on His grace for the day.

It is a good way to live.



 
The story of Ron's illness:

Musings and lessons learned:

12 comments:

  1. Amen!

    This is how I'm getting through our second wedding in four months with the holidays in between!

    Love your heart for the Lord!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS the way to live! When we get too far ahead of ourselves, I wonder if we don't miss the grace God wanted to give us TODAY.....

    Keep sharing, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at the big picture is sometimes more than we can bear. You have it so right…just for today Lord give me the grace I need for now. And He does, and filled with great promises. Love this post and appreciate you sharing your lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I continue to pray to our God on Ron's behalf to Jehovah-Rapha our God who healeth...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the only way to live our lives, dear Cheryl. I love how you are sharing with us your family's journey. Your gracefulness has always drawn me to read what you have to say. Praying for Ron's continuing healing. Hugs to you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl, it's been a long time since I've been by. I've been on a blog break. (And I have abandoned my Magnolia Cottage blog.)

    What a time your family has had! I rejoice with you that your husband is doing better. May God continue to restore him to health.

    I can relate to "Grace for the day." Sometimes, it's "grace for the minute" that I need.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace for today and bright hope for tomorrow... It IS a good way to live. It is lovely to read that things are getting back to normal and that plans are being made. Actually, I can't imagine your home without plans being made! Say "hey" to Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, grace for each day is what is promised. It is a good way to live. Grace and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a perfect prayer, and soo true as well. All we need is grace for the day. I am soo glad that Ron is doing better and plans are being made etc. God is good ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We often think that we need to see everything now, need to know what lies ahead, but you are so right. God gives us grace for the day, and grows us in faith. God bless you, Cheryl and Ron. You are in my prayers. What a blessing this post is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes...GRACE for the day. That would be my prayer too...no matter how uncertain our future may seem, God does grant us His unmerited favor when we ask Him. It sounds like things are starting to get back to normal for your family. So glad Ron is recovering well. This is a beautiful post, Cheryl....enjoy this weekend with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheryl, In our own times of intense hardships with family illness, we too have received that same beautiful one day at a time grace. It's a beautiful thing. I'm so glad you've shared your first-hand experience of grace that's enough for the day.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...