As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, May 22, 2017

Taking a Ride




When we drive out of town for Bekah's piano lessons, we have a plan. We listen to a history CD on our way. (This year we have listened to this set: What in the World? Volume 2 by Diana Waring. Fabulous!) After Bekah has her lesson, we grab lunch and, depending on our time limitations, we go shopping or antiquing. On our drive home, we talk. 

So on Friday morning when her teacher rescheduled due to sickness, I thought we'd be home for the day. But after we talked about it, we decided that we didn't want to miss our little road trip . . . and off we went as usual. We just omitted the piano lesson part.




I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish on Saturday: the usual weekly house cleaning, yes, but also some extra scrubbing, sewing a swag for the library window, and trying a new recipe.

But Kati needed to find some new shoes for work. Long story, short: She has a stress fracture and is being fitted for custom orthotics, but the doc recommends a certain kind of shoe for her foot problems. She had explored all of the stores in our town that carry that brand and did not find the right shoes. The other possibility was a shoe store over an hour away.

So on Saturday afternoon, Kati and I went on a little road trip . . . in search of those shoes and a few hours together. There may or may not have been a Starbucks stop.

As we drove home, Kati remarked about how nice the afternoon had been. Neither of us was thrilled about shopping for work shoes, but Kati said, "The best part is the ride and having time to talk." I agreed!






There is just something about spending time together in a car. Oh my goodness . . . the things we talk about! Work. School. Relationships. Nieces and nephews (my grands). Qualities to look for in a mate. Future plans. Wedding gowns. Funny stories. Favorite this and that. Failings. Music. Movies. Houses. Decorating. Parties to plan. Parenting. God's Word. His perspective.

Sometimes we take long-ish trips like the two I just told you about.

Sometimes we just meander around town, sipping coffee and looking at houses.

But we can even make the most of a short jaunt. If I am just running to the post office or driving to the library to return a book or picking up a few things at Target or making a coffee run, I'll ask if anyone wants to go with me. Often, someone does!

And, by the way, the trip isn't always over when we get back home. We have been known to sit in the driveway and talk for 20 or 30 minutes more! (I wonder what our neighbors are thinking.)

Pin


Forging strong bonds of relationship with my children is something that is very important to me. Of course, being your child's friend does not supersede the proper place of authority, but I do want them on my team. And I want to be on theirs. I value their friendship!

"Taking a ride" is just one of the ways that we grow in relationship together.

And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk [ride?] by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. (Deuteronomy 6:6-9)


14 comments:

  1. SO agree with it all! Precious times with our children/adult children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness this post took me down such a memory lane. Driving around and talking (having a good "chew" is what we called it) was the way Melody and I spent most of her high school and college years. For whatever reason it was how we talked best. Now we talked well over lunch, while shopping, or just sitting around the house as well. But our car rides were legendary. We did it as often as we could. Soo funny, the other day Melody and I were chatting on the phone and she said, "oh how I wish we could take drives together still mom". Some day maybe....But I meanwhile I loved hearing today how there is someone else who has discovered the wonder of this. I miss it more then you could know. Enjoy every little minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Cheryl. It really is interesting how time in a car brings out conversation. Also when we're on a road trip, I often read to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Deuteronomy verses in a new perspective. Yes and amen. Road trips short or long are a great venue for conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had not thought of our cars as little therapy offices though Laurel and I sat and chatted for several minutes after we pulled into my yard last night. It was raining and cold so I might have attributed it to those warmed seats she has, yet after reading this, maybe it was something else entirely. I am so glad that you have a close realtionship with your girls. Hope that Kati finds some shoes that help her feet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree, also times doing the dishes together is great talking time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talking, not texting - a beautiful way to connect! Long drives are such a great opportunity for "car therapy" indeed. Love how you have a close relationship with your daughters. Thanks for the tip about the history CDs too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so important to spend time with our children and allow open dialogue to happen. Your post even reminds me of how important those talks are even with my adult children as well. I love how you and your girls enjoy being with each other, Cheryl. A car trip certainly puts us in the mood to talk about a variety of topics. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved every word of this post, Cheryl. Treasure these moments (as I know you do). They fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful post, Cheryl, it brings back so many memories of my special time with our daughter Susan, as we drove to the Christian school she attended! You truly have a special relationship and bond with your children, it is so evident in your posts!
    When you become old and gray as I am you and your children will reminisce over all of these special times and memories, Sometimes when they remind you of them you have to have a refresher course, that is when you know that you truly are "old" ~smile~
    Have a blessed Memorial Day weekend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best talks with my husband are on our two hour ride to my sister's house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading this post! My daughter and I have lots of great talks when we are driving. Likewise my hubby and I, too. Never thought of it as a therapy session! :)
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this!! When thinkin about my (home)educating philosophy years ago, relationship became a central theme. Now, it is a life theme. Praise God for this special and priceless time!!~tammy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...