As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, May 24, 2012

Honor or Sacrifice?

In our travels around the world (via this year's homeschool geography studies), we have made it to Africa.  While visiting here, we are reading a biography of  missionary David Livingstone. 

These words are profound. 

And they are no more true for a missionary than for a mother-homeschool teacher or for a nurse or for an office worker or for a mechanic or for anyone who lives for Jesus and walks in obedience to His calling. 


If a commission by an earthly king
is considered an honor,
how can a commission by a Heavenly King
be considered a sacrifice?
~ David Livingstone






Linking with Lorraine at her lovely blog,
With A Grateful Prayer and a Thankful Heart

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Cheryl! This is SO true. (Shame on me when I feel "put upon"!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that one. I have never heard of it before now and it is a wonderful truth. My thoughts have been with another missionary “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.” Jim Elliott. Jim actually has many wonderful quotes. Another is "forgive me for being so ordinary when I claim to know an extraordinary God" or something like that. I imagine that David Livingstone has a lot of wonderful quotes as well.

    Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point! We'd accomplish more for the kingdom if we'd treat our commission as such.

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend planned Cheryl. Even if it just means the gardens lovelied and the grill busy. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful quote. It is new to me. Thank you, Cheryl, for sharing on Think on These Things :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a powerful quote. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an AMAZING thought! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing it with us! I'll have to make a digi print to put on my blog with this--I LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...