As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Progress Update in the Kitchen


If you haven't seen my Happy News yet, be sure to check out my last post! In the meantime . . .

Ron is off this week and things are happening in the kitchen! And I am not talking about cooking, although there has been some of that too. After all, autumn has finally arrived and I am itching to cook fall foods. This week I have made White Chicken Chili from the Love, Welcome, Serve cookbook, a Bolognese  sauce served over spaghetti squash, and a Harvest Apple Cake. I'm also planning to make a batch of pumpkin muffins to share. 

But back to the kitchen. 

After three-and-a-half years in the Pineapple House . . .

** drum roll please **




. . . the washing machine is out of my kitchen and has been moved to the basement! Yay!! 



Now work is underway on the south wall of the kitchen. If you recall, we are Ron is moving the refrigerator over, reconfiguring the cabinets, building a new base cabinet unit, and installing new countertop. Then we'll need to paint this wall of cabinets. 


Before . . . 


Work in progress . . . 

Gotta love it when your refrigerator is in the middle of the floor! 🤣 (Actually, I DO love it because it means that progress is being made!)


Side note: I hate that the cabinet/trim color reads pink in photos. You may recall that parts of the kitchen trim have been painted three times already and I promised Ron that I would settle on this third color (Benjamin Moore's Kangaroo) and be content. I am content sometimes. When the lighting is just right, it is the color that I like. But artificial light brings out the slightest tint of pink and photos make it worse. Sigh.


Ron is making great strides this week, and we both hope to have all the work done by Thanksgiving! 


19 comments:

  1. Oh it’s nice to have a handyman around the house. It will be wonderful, but I wish that a laundry room could have been eked out on the first floor. I have had one of each and my favorite is not my basement situation. I did visit the apple cake recipe post...was 2014 before our time?( I didn’t comment.) I sent the link to my sister because her husband has been repeatedly asking for an apple cake. My daughter, like Ron, has had the week off; she always takes her birthday week off. She was going to come visit, but I had to say no as she is recovering from a cold. Bummer! Hopefully, she’ll be much better by Saturday because that’s party day and we’re not calling it off. Happy project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A handyman is invaluable! Your John was a master handyman, so you certainly know. (Isn't that how you met? When he was doing some work at your Haven?)

      Believe me, we puzzled and puzzed over a solution to a main floor laundry room. I will miss the convenience of a washer in my kitchen! We do think we have come up with a compromise: converting the (very tiny) half bathroom into a laundry closet with an all-in-one stackable unit. We would keep the regular-sized washer and dryer in the basement for large loads and also for whomever would live here in the future, but we think the small unit would be adequate for a pair of empty nesters.

      Enough about laundry . . . Happy Birthday to your daughter! I hope she has fully recovered by party day and that you all have a lovely celebration!

      I think we were friends before 2014, so I think that post just got by you! Hope your brother-in-law gets his apple cake! :)

      Delete
  2. And how handy is it for him to stop for a coffee break. He just had to turn around and it there!
    When ever we move our refrig we find all kinds of "goodies". Did you?

    Happy for ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron gets so involved in his projects, he hardly takes a break when he is working! I don't get it. I certainly welcome coffee breaks in the middle of my tasks!

      Well, we only found some dust bunnies this time. Go figure. But ask me what we found under our piano when we moved a few years ago!

      (Okay. I'll tell you, but it's our little secret, okay? A. dead. mouse. Long dead. Oh my goodness.)

      Delete
    2. Eek!
      Your secret is safe with me!

      Delete
  3. I love seeing the projects you and Ron accomplish, Cheryl! I'm so impressed at the progress your talented husband has made! That's a lot of work moving plumbing, etc. to another level. I know you are excited and I am for you as well. Who cares where the refrigerator is now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen! I am impressed with Ron myself! He will try almost anything. And he doesn't even mind all my ambitious ideas for changing things up. I am a lucky girl!

      Delete
  4. Woohoo! Washing machine is in the basement. Moving the refrigerator over is going to really open up some nice counter space. I'm excited to see the after photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitchen already feels bigger with the fridge moved over! Even before the work is done, we are pondering and planning how things should be arranged to take advantage of the new work space. I will be sure to share a photo of the completed space!

      Delete
  5. I can’t wait to catch up with you in person soon! I love this project and I think your idea of a laundry closet would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deanna!

      Oooooo . . . I am looking forward to seeing you too!

      Delete
  6. I remember when we redid our kitchen. It's hard at the time but the results are so rewarding. Looking forward to seeing the "end" pictures. Your Ron is so handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remodeling is not for the faint of heart, is it? But you're right, it is SO worth it in the end! And yes, Ron is quite the handy guy!

      Delete
  7. Awesome - it's going to look amazing Cheryl! Wow - 3 1/2 years went by so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosella! I know . . . I can't believe it's been 3 1/2 years either!

      Delete
  8. I was just thinking about all the exercise you'll get going up and down to the laundry! I'm glad progress is being made and it looks promising! How wonderful to have such a handy husband! He looks like a master in his skills. Hope it goes along smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I should look at it, Dotsie!

      Yes, Ron is quite handy, and mostly self-taught! He got so much accomplished on his vacation week. I am thrilled with the results. There is still work to do, and of course it will go more slowly working some evenings and weekends, but I think we're going to make our Thanksgiving goal!

      Delete
  9. Cheryl, could I borrow that handy man of yours for about a week? We have a few things that just aren't getting done! Glad you finally got the washer where you want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep him pretty busy, but perhaps a loan could be arranged. Better yet, how about a barter? You feed us some of your kitchen masterpieces, and I'll bring the handyman!! 😁

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...