As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, November 16, 2019

{30 Days of Thankfulness} Days 15 and 16



A potpourri of thanks . . .

I am thankful for a brand new opportunity to serve. 
I am volunteering with a local ESL (English as a Second Language) ministry, and I love it! It is such a blessing to see students young and old, from many different countries, gather each week and work hard to learn English. I enjoy it all, but perhaps my favorite part is during the short devotional each week when students stand and read the Scripture verse in their own language. It moves me every time.

I am thankful for friends. 
I had coffee this morning yesterday with a dear friend and as we talked about everything from our adult children to food to deep spiritual topics to the squeaky restaurant door that was in desperate need of some WD-40, I was reminded of how we need one another on this journey. "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works." (Hebrews 10:24)

I am thankful for an at-home kind of Saturday.
The furthest I went today was my back step where I shook my wool duster. From changing the linens on the guest room bed, to ironing the napkins for our Thanksgiving table, it was a day for domesticity. To me, that is a good day!

I am thankful that we are expecting a special guest next week.
Can you guess?



11 comments:

  1. I’m sure it’s Kati and Andrew! How fun. We did home things today too. New light switch covers, my shelf brackets painted black and the shelf rehung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're mostly right . . . although Kati is arriving sooner than Andrew so we get some extra days with her!

      Love home days! Small changes and tidy spaces make a big difference!

      Delete
  2. Just one special guest?

    Days given to domesticity are my favorites.

    Always good to have coffee with a friend. Perhaps next time the door will have been treated to a squirt of oil.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see what is happening. I really should snoop first. 😁

      Delete
    2. Vee, you make me smile! 😊

      Oh my goodness. That door was SO loud. It was driving my coffee companion cRaZy! It must have been bothering someone else too, because after a while, an employee came and oiled the door. Yay!

      Happy Sunday to you too, friend!

      Delete
  3. I think I can guess who your special guest will be. So happy for you! We are looking forward to special guests, too. Happy new week to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that you will enjoy your special guests as much as we will! Such a privilege to spend time together with our dear ones! Happy week to you too, Ellen!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you are participating in the ESL program, Cheryl. From what I read here, you are a natural teacher at heart.
    Time spent with special friends is certainly a blessing even with a squeaky door!
    Domesticity is a joy especially with the anticipation of loved ones coming home. I'm so happy for you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen! The ESL program is one in which you are giving . . . but end up getting back so much more!

      You're right, of course. We ended up laughing up a storm over that squeaky door! Wouldn't trade that time . . .

      Thank you for sharing our joy! You know what a pleasure it is to have your dear ones come home! ❤

      Delete
  5. How nice that you found another way to help with teaching someone! It does take a commitment to schedule in that time.
    Preparing for Thanksgiving and having guests, wonderful days ahead.
    We'll be going to Florida to visit our son and his family, so no preparations here before Thanksgiving. But when we come back home we will still have a Turkey and some "side dishes" for our own leftover feast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ESL feels like a good fit for me!

      Happy Thanksgiving to you . . . and have a wonderful visit with your son and his family! (A smaller "leftover" feast sounds like a good plan too!)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...