As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, August 30, 2013

The Best Kind of Birthday


After celebrating with my mom and my daughter on Sunday, and after a busy first part of the week, I looked forward to a quiet birthday yesterday.  

Photo by Bekah


It was rather quiet...and yet filled with delights!

It was a jammies-until-noon sort of day.  A day which began with a birthday phone call from my mom. And then a birthday phone call from my daughter Kristin. 

It was a day of leftovers for lunch. A day of reading birthday greetings on Facebook, kind words from friends and family far and near.

It was a day that our school order came in the mail and we nosed through our new books and got excited over the year to come.

It was a day in which I did a little window shopping and then bought groceries (oh well...I said the day was quiet, not perfect ~smile~).  A day in which I ran into a friend who didn't recognize me at first (note: gray hair and new bifocals) and then I began to feel another year older. And then I heard a familiar voice call my name as I was leaving the store and I looked and saw my dear Ron who was running an errand on his way home from work (he may or may not have been buying a last minute birthday card).  And he grabbed my arm and said, "You are the cutest thing." And I left the store feeling "cute" even with the gray hair and bifocals. 

It was a day of an Asian Chicken Salad at Panera. And of talking about buying a lemon crumb pie on the way home but the girls saying, "Birthday dessert is already taken care of." 

It was coming home to the sweetest message on the answering machine. The voices of Ryan, Sarah, Eve, Nora, and Peter singing "Happy Birthday" and each one of them wishing me a happy birthday...oh those voices!

Yes, it was an evening of sweetness...pretty ice cream cupcakes from Dairy Queen and a candle to blow out and thoughtful gifts. 

It was an evening of music and worship as I asked Bekah to play my favorite hymn on the piano and my heart was stirred and tears welled in my eyes as I sang the wonderful words. 
Spirit of God, descend upon my heart.
Wean it from earth, through all its pulses move.
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art,
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.
And then we asked for others and she played and we sang and my heart was full.
Open my eyes that I may see glimpses of truth you have for me...
I sing the mighty power of God...
Amazing love!  How can it be that Thou my God wouldst die for me?

Oh, it was the best kind of birthday!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a truly wonderful day! Happy Birthday and blessings for another year!
    Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to spend a birthday! Sounds like NOTHING was missing from it. How I would have enjoyed singing around the piano with you all....

    Actually, I just returned from leading 45 minutes of "hymn sing" at a local nursing home. My soul feels refreshed and renewed.

    Please receive belated birthday greetings from a fellow "bifocal-ed", grey-headed blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a marvelous day all around. I am especially charmed by a chance meeting with your beloved and ohhh time spent around a piano is always sweet time. I am so happy to know that it still happens. I had never heard of your favorite hymn so had to go in search and somehow never arrived back. I recognized the melody, but not the words. They are wonderful words. Let's call it your Happy Birthday long weekend! Keep having fun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds pretty perfect to me, Cheryl. Happy Birthday my fellow August baby. Have a beautiful and blessed year ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron is right, you ARE the cutest thing. Beautiful inside and out!

    Sounds like you had a delightful day, full of love, and being reminded how special you are!

    Love you!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was, indeed, a birthday filled with happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Cheryl! It sounds like you had a wonderful day. Here's wishing you many, many more wonderful birthdays. Have a nice Labor Day weekend!
























































































    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like a pretty swell day to me. And those ice cream cupcakes...YUMMY! And boy, can I identify with the gray hair and bifocals. But you're not getting older you're getting better. And isn't wonderful to be blessed by so many that love and care about us?!
    I enjoy visiting to see what's happening in your corner of blog land.
    May our Father richly bless you in the coming year.
    Looking Up!
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday dear Cheryl:) Sounds like a beautiful day! May God's blessings pour on you and your family on your special day.

    Much love
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderfully perfect day! Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! I'm a little late but I wish you all the best in this "new year" of you life. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...