As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Maddie, Our Treasure


"What games are you going to play at your party, Maddie?" enthused Owen (Mr. Sameness, game aficionado) as he thought ahead to his sister's birthday party planned for the next day.

"I am not going to play any games," answered Maddie. Games can get out of hand. And I don't want anything to get out of hand at my birthday party."


~ ~ ~ ~ ~


When Kristin called me to share this conversation that she had overheard, I could picture it, right down to the expression on Maddie's face! She had determined that she wanted a "quiet party," and things "getting out of hand" was just not in her plans. She also knew what she did want, from the guest list to the table centerpiece to the cake that she would help to bake.

This little girl is such a treasure to our family! She entered the world on a hot summer day as a deluge of rain flooded the streets of our town. She stayed in her mama's lap, peacefully observing the world until her first birthday. On that day, she totally ceased being a contented observer and became an active participant and a girl with an opinion. Her mama jokes that she got a 'tude for her first birthday!

Our Maddie tenderly nurtures everything from her little brothers to backyard toads and caterpillars to plants. She loves to help her mama bake and clean. She is a girl with enthusiasm and ideas and plans. She loves peas and corn-on-the-cob and strawberries. She is a slowpoke. And she loves books. No matter what her mama is reading, whether it is one of baby brother Ben's board books, or one of her own favorite Kit (American Girl) books, Maddie appears on the sofa eager to listen.


Happy 6th Birthday dear Maddie! We can't imagine our world without you!

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl, this posting is so full of love. What a wonder it is, that our hearts can fully and totally love each family member just like he/she was the only one in the world! Happy Birthday, Dear Maddie. It's so much fun being SIX!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...