As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, September 30, 2010

Morning Time: Autumn Edition

We continue collecting our little grains of sand during this school year. It is one of the most gratifying parts of our day, a time that has enriched us, one that is well worth the minutes that are sown in exchange for the bounty that is reaped.

Morning Time currently looks something like this...

BIBLE READING
This year, we are reading the Epistles, beginning with the richness that is Romans.

BIBLE MEMORY
We are learning Psalm 91. I recently learned that this was a favorite passage of Ron’s grandfather, and that he could still quote it when he was in his nineties! I thought that it would be meaningful for the girls to have this connection with their great-grandfather. (Kristin and Ryan remember him well, but he passed away before Kati and Bekah were born.)
Bekah will continue to learn the books of the Old Testament.

SING A HYMN
We are singing “Amazing Grace”, per Bekah’s request, and may read a biography of John Newton.

POETRY RECITATION
Kati: “The Landing of the Pilgrim Fathers” by Felicia Dorothea Hemans
Bekah: “The Ice-Cream Man” by Rachel Field
Mom: “Rum-Tum Tugger” by T. S. Elliot

POETRY EXPOSURE
We're enjoying selected poems by Christina Rossetti who wrote a wide variety of poems, from nursery rhymes to poems with deep spiritual themes.

LISTEN TO A PIECE OF CLASSICAL MUSICThis term we are listening to the music of Dvorak, a Czech composer (inspired by the fact that Kati worked with four people from the Czech Republic at her summer job).

ART APPRECIATIONWe are enjoying the pastoral art of Jean-Francois Millet.

Millet's The Gleaners, 1857
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
For more reading about "Morning Time":

An introduction to our own "Morning Time"
What Is Morning Time? by Cindy Rollins
Cindy's Inspiration for Morning Time
Kathy's "Morning Stack"

2 comments:

  1. Cheryl, Thanks for sharing your "morning time" We have started that also and both Andrew and I look forward to it to start the day. I must confess that I wish I had more children to share it with. I am really looking forward to our "new" co-op day. I am thankful for seasoned homeschool moms like you in my life. God knows what we need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so very much needed to read this today. How little those grains of sand require of me, yet what a rich harvest we all reap when *I* facilitate it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...