As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, October 10, 2015

A Word Fitly Spoken


A few of you have written to ask if we're doing okay. We are!! 

I certainly am not keeping up with everything as I would like. Ron is unable to drive while recovering from foot surgery (this first surgery was on the right foot). I am needing to take him to work which means rising before dawn and zipping out the door. (Ha! Zipping? Who am I kidding? I never zip.) I am typically a 7 or 7:30 riser, and then I move s-l-o-w-l-y into my day. I am not a morning person. 

My workload is also a little heavier with Ron not able to do as much, although he is gradually able to pick things back up. Of course, it would help if I would get to bed earlier to make up for the earlier rising! I am doing better with that, but on the nights that Kati works late, I stay up until she's home...and then we usually sit and talk for a while. 

So...add the little bit of extra to my regular routine of homeschooling and homemaking...then consider the fact that I am s-l-o-w to begin with (and have been my entire life!!)...thus the feeling that I am merely walking along steadily, not accomplishing much, just getting through my day doing the basics. 

Then I read this comment from Dotsie



Sometimes in our zeal to accomplish we forget how good just walking is. One step at a time. We don't need the big picture. 



...and her words spoke life to me! I needed to be reminded "how good just walking is."

It is good to be steady. It is good to walk. This is a season and I am only responsible to do what He has given me to do in this season. There is such rest in that. 


All week, I have looked forward to today! And this Saturday got off to a lovely start. I slept in, Ron made pumpkin French toast for two, and then we took our second cups of coffee out to the patio and relished the beautiful October morning. I have only a few tasks on my must-do list today. Relaxation is the order of the day! We'll also celebrate our grandson Ben's seventh birthday this evening. Good times! 







I hope that you, too, are finding joy in "walking." 

Are you relishing this fine October Saturday? 

18 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful post, again! I find life so much better when I have less to do and focus on what has to be done. Why do we crowd our lives so much? It sounds like a wonderful morning! And the FR toast looks yummy. Here we are having a wonderful rainy day and the new grass seed is happy for the long drink. I am going slow, packing for another trip and enjoying the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that things are getting back to a comfortable speed as Ron continues his healing. Am I remembering correctly that he will have a second surgery on the other foot? So you both will be well practiced in this particular season and can continue to share what you have learned through it. Have a wonderful birthday celebration this evening! We have one tomorrow evening that should have been this evening, but the gal ditched us in favor of her friends. < insert wry grin >

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to read your update and the good word about walking. I just read something today about being in the moment. We had french toast this morning, too. It wasn't pumpkin but it was good. Have a wonderful day and a fun birthday celebration tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walking is, indeed, a very good thing!! May you walk and not be weary this Saturday and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, Cheryl. I am so happy to just get out of bed and walk! The things I used to take for granted have become very, very precious to me. I had pumpkin waffles this morning, but I did not make them, I bought them at Trader Joe's. Do you have one where you live? So good. With a drizzle of pure maple syrup. I love fall! Glad that Ron is getting back to his usual self.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love when He brings those sweet, life giving words from friends near and far. I'm not a fast mover these days either ... I find hurrying harrowing!

    Your pumpkin waffles ... on my that sounds lovely. My mom is coming to stay for a few days and that would make a perfect breakfast one morning.

    Wishing you and your hubby grace and that soul ability to truly lean into .. and enjoy this slower time in your lives.
    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos are beautiful....and you are right to adapt your pace to fit the challenges of this season of your lives. (Most of us could do with a little slowing down!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always been busy, busy, busy but not necessarily because of my choices! As I've gotten older I do enjoy a walk through life, with time to notice things and savor moments. I prefer that, but often I am where you are right now, much to do and not much else getting done.

    Dotsie's word was perfect - fitly spoken.

    I hope you enjoyed and rested today!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an encouraging word ! I am a s.l.o.w. person too! I am in a busy for me season, so I really appreciated her comment! I made french toast for breakfast this morning and then we headed up to the Strasburg area. It was a beautiful day! I'm glad that your hubby is healing! I hope that the birthday celebration was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am learning that "just walking" is okay and I'm finding great peace in it
    Hope your Saturday has been absolutely lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post! I am a morning person, sometimes up around 4, I usually take a nap after lunch and then go to bed around 8. :-)

    I loved the comment by podso, it really blessed my heart. I am definitely in a season I wasn't expecting to be in, and 'just walking', with Jesus by my side, is what I need to focus on, nothing else. He works all things out.

    May your dear husband's recovery be complete and how sweet that he made French toast for two and that you enjoyed your second cup of coffee together on the patio on a beautiful fall Saturday morning.

    Have a lovely Sunday and a great week, walking in love, peace & joy ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post! Hope your Saturday has been absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm happy to hear all is going well at your home, Cheryl. I'm a slow gal also, so walking is just my style in almost everything I do. I do hope you have received refreshment from the weekend and that your new week ahead goes well.
    Oh and that French Toast looks great! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. After two foot surgeries last year, I can definitely say 'walking' is a blessing we often taking for granted until we can't do it! Glad to be able to walk with some less pain. Blessings on your week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Cheryl - I can SO relate to the staying up late and slow to rise syndrome! I too have that gene and always have had it. Tho, with getting on in age I find that staying up too late and getting my speed at 10 p.m. isn't quite as pronounced anymore. I love the Dotsie quote. So glad to hear that your hubby is getting better and will be walking with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful post, Cheryl. Walking at a steady pace is such a good thing. I love the way Dotsie's words encouraged you and you shared that with your readers. I'm glad you had a slow Saturday. I'm having a slow Monday after cooking all weekend and having company.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a morning person either and am slow at everything. The older I get, the slower I am! lol! I'm glad your hubby is doing well and I hope he continues to recover nicely from the surgery. Take care and have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. True words of wisdom from Dotsie. Hang in there. This is merely another season of your life, one ordained by God who loves you. Praying for you and your family. BTW it is wonderful that you wait up for your daughter and talk about her day after she gets home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...