As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, June 3, 2017

Tidsoptomist


I recently came across a word that (unfortunately) describes me pretty well. 

Tidsoptomist. 


Does this happen to anyone else? You get up early, allowing yourself plenty of time to get ready. Then (because you have plenty of time to get ready, of course) you check your Facebook and read a few blogs. You don't take time to comment because you're getting ready to get ready. Then you throw in a load of wash. You make your bed. You stop to chat with a daughter. You add something to the grocery list. You start to unload the dishwasher, but you realize that your time is getting away from you so you'd better put on your makeup and dry your hair. Now! There's not enough time to write out that birthday card either, or mend that tear in the blouse you were going to wear. You pull something else out of your closet and get dressed too quick to talk about. 

Oh no! You're going to be late. 

It is the bane of the tidsoptimist. 


Today, I have a long to-do list. I started out great guns. Up early, washing all of the dishes in my pie safe, a load of laundry started, tidying up the living room (which was left in disarray after I fell asleep on the sofa and woke up with everyone else gone to bed). Then I sit down with my coffee and check my Facebook and read a few blogs . . . and then decide to write a blog post . . . 

But I really need to move along with that to-do list. Tomorrow, company is coming whether I am ready or not. Maybe I'll even be dressed when they arrive. 

If tidsoptimism doesn't take over.


Are you a tidsoptimist? Or do tidsoptimists drive you nuts? (It's okay to say if they do! I've been driving people nuts for years . . . ) 

8 comments:

  1. I share this disorder with you! That's the story of my life!! I do the very same things you do! Yesterday, I did have a lucid moment when I thought, "I'll finish getting ready and THEN I'll make that bank deposit." That doesn't happen often and yes, I do drive people crazy! My family gives me a different time to arrive so I won't be late! However, I'm never late for doctor appointments or to the airport!
    God speed on getting all the things done today! We may be late a lot but we do accomplish a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is me to a T. When I first got married to the man who is always 30 minutes early it caused many arguments. But now I just take him to where he needs to be and then go back home and get ready. (This happens most on Sunday morning where he is always early and I am always late to church.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've learned to be fine with Tidsoptemists. It's best if I don't have to watch a tidsoptemist knowing there is a deadline for them. If I've invited a tidsoptemist over for a meal I've learned to let them know that we will be happy to see them when they arrive and there will be plenty of food for them but the rest of us might be eating already. This has brought a lot of peace to our gatherings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the family tidsoptemist and she used to drive me bonkers until I took my cue from Adam who said of her, "The earliest Auntie has ever been is fifteen minutes late." I've learned to add about a half hour to any time frame and it seems to work. Your descrption of your thought process is funny. I think you are getting a lot accomplished...using all your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops...didn't edit so well🤦🏻‍♀️

      Delete
  5. Oh Cheryl, I'm married to one! I've never heard this term before. I will say tidsoptimists get a lot done, even if it's late. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I get annoyed at someone who is always late--I mean more than 5-10 minutes. But this describes me to a "T" so I better not say too much. I always think my time will multiply and it actually does not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have it! I had no idea is was officially a real thing, but I'm definitely a "tidsoptomist." My husband may or may not be happy to know it has a name but I'm so glad to know it isn't just me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...