As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Moments




There are little snippets of time in which a memory is seared into your mind and your heart. 

You wonder, why that one? The thing may not have seemed significant when it happened. There may be hundreds of similar incidents that you do not remember. But for some reason, this particular moment is remembered vividly. 

At church on Sunday, two separate things happened that brought a long-ago moment in time to the front of my memory. 

First, Bekah played the beautiful hymn "He Leadeth Me" on the piano as a call to worship. 

A little later in the service, I looked over at my six-year-old granddaughter Macie and she was lustily singing with the congregation "He Will Hold Me Fast." It moved my heart so much that I had to turn away lest I become a bucket of tears.

And both of those here-and-now moments took me back to a little snippet of time when Kati (now a married woman with two young children) was a small girl, sitting in a ladderback chair in our farmhouse kitchen. She was kind of twisted around in her chair (because in those days she never just sat). I don't remember if anyone else was there with us, but our family was singing "He Leadeth Me" and little Kati (like her niece Macie many years later) was singing lustily in her sweet, clear voice. In that moment, I was so moved and the memory was etched in my heart. 

I am probably the only one who remembers that moment. And yet . . .

Life is made up of moments, one after the other. 

The moments of planting seeds of truth, of living out the Gospel, of lending a hand, of speaking a soft word . . . those moments are seemingly small, but they are vitally important. 

Life is built of small moments. 


18 comments:

  1. Indeed. The memories can be so sweet. I tried an experiment and thought of each family member to see if I could recall a special moment. You won't be surprised to know that I could. How interesting, too, that some of those sweet memories bring a stinging tear. What's that all about? Thank you for the reminder to be present and notice the tender moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your experiment! (I'd try it now, but if I pause too long I'll be asleep.) And yes, tears often mingle with the sweetness.

      Delete
  2. Oh, how true! Sweet memories we store up in our mama hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely post. Memories bring moments back as if they had just happened. As children grow and have children of their own, the little ones' actions often remind me of moments when I was a young mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorrie! Time is so fluid in my older age. The memories of those years as a young mother ebb and flow with the grandmother moments . . .

      Delete
  4. Yes, just a lovely post. Thanks so much for sharing these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing it with me, Mrs. T!

      Delete
  5. The older I become the more my memories mean to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Life is built of small moments"...Yes, and your memories of those sweet moments stir our hearts and fill us with emotion. Thank you for sharing a piece of your heart, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing it with me, Martha Ellen! You are a good friend!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful post! It's amazing what the mind remembers and why. What a gift memories are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, indeed, these moments etched in your memory are sweet gifts. Tears definitely well up with memories like these. Seeds planted and we pray they continue to grow. Now I'll sit back and see if I can remember some of those moments, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we pray that they continue to grow! Enjoy your "moments" as you ponder . . .

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...