As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, March 16, 2022

A Long-Awaited Trip


Yes, it was a long-awaited trip . . . a Christmas gift that we gave to Bekah in December 2019, plane tickets to visit Kati who had married and moved away earlier that year.*

Originally planned for March 2020 (and we all know how that turned out). 

Rescheduled for October 2021 (and then our family got a stomach bug). 

Planned for spring break (and then Bekah's school delayed opening in January and cancelled spring break).

So we squeezed in a few days between classes, deciding that a short trip was much better than NO trip (and Bekah's flight voucher expired at the end of March). 

We missed our flight home because of a clerical error on Bekah's boarding pass and Andrew had to drive back to the airport a few hours after he had dropped us off because we couldn't get another flight until the following day. (Silver lining: we had a bonus day to visit!)

Five-sixths of us ended up with colds before the visit was over. 

But . . . I would not have traded these days with Kati and her family for anything! Babies don't keep! 

Merry Christmas (2019), Aunt Bekah! 


You're looking at a happy Gran, holding Caleb (22 months) and Ellie (8 months)!


Caleb is such a sweet boy! He is learning and talking so much . . . and he tries to keep us all straight! He loves to give hugs and kisses and sing lots of verses of "The B-I-B-L-E."
(He calls it "B-I-B-I-B-I" which is absolutely adorable!)



Ellie is one of the happiest, most cuddly babies ever! She smiles all the time, babbles constantly (we all think she'll be a chatterbox when she figures it all out), and is happy to be held and cuddled! 



Knowing that Caleb is a HUGE Paddington Bear fan right now, Gammy (my mom) sent along a special gift for him. Caleb loves "Paa"!



Watching "Paa" while waiting for dinner.


Caleb and I always take a mirror selfie when I visit his house.


(Past mirror selfies)







Taking Gran and Aunt Bekah to the airport (the second time).


Oh, it was so good to hang out with these faraway babies . . . enjoying meals and baths and playtime and stories and snuggles and giggles and songs and bedtime routine . . . the stuff of everyday. Priceless moments to record in our memories. 




* Just to clarify . . . Bekah was able to visit Kati and family soon after each baby was born via a road trip. But the Christmas gift was airfare, and that trip had not happened until last weekend!

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful long awaited trip to see gorgeous grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, these darling photos of your grands and you are priceless! - Great evidence of a beautiful visit. You are so right, "babies don't keep." That photo of baby toes gave me a big smile. Kati's children are beautiful and really favor you! Glad you could join Bekah on her long awaited trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bekah wanted me to come along, so (of course) I did! I love that you think Caleb and Ellie favor me . . . very high praise! Thank you for all of your kind words, Martha Ellen!

      Delete
  3. Oh hooray for this long anticipated trip to come to fruition. You are so right, 'babies don't keep'. That sweet time comes and goes so quickly. Love the B-I-B-I-B...I think JJ left the L out, too. Love those baby feet. So happy you had these priceless moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you think that grandchildren grow even faster than children? How does that work?! So, yes, I am very grateful to have had these days with the babies . . . and their dear parents too! That's funny that JJ left the L out too! I just love that stage when children are learning to talk and increasing their vocabularies!

      Delete
  4. Oh they are such adorable children. And little Ellie looks a lot like her mama. So glad that all the plans worked out well in the end, including the clerical error, though Andrew may not have thought so. You are so right—grandchildren do not keep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew was quite gracious, but I felt terrible asking him to make that trip again! Of course, I agree with you that they are adorable children. And I love that Ellie looks like her mama.

      Delete
  5. Your grands are just beautiful, Cheryl! Thank you for taking us along with you and giving us a peek into their lives ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! So glad you came along!

      Delete
  6. How great that you were able to go visit your daughter and those darling, darling grandbabies. You are so right - they don't keep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorrie! We are so grateful that we were finally able to go!

      Delete
  7. Ah, so true! I'm longing to hold our new grand Stella, who is already 2 weeks old! Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What sweet pictures. And it's great that you're keeping up the mirror selfies with Caleb. You haven't changed, but boy he has! Of course. :) They grow so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becki! It was such a sweet time! And, oh my, they do grow so fast!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...