As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, December 21, 2023

A Christmas House Tour of Sorts | 2023

 



This year has been one of the most difficult years of my life. One challenge following another, all flowing into one another, often overlapping. 




But that is why He came! Because this world and we who are in it are hopelessly flawed. Because we are not enough (contrary to what the memes and the social media influencers try to tell us). 

He came to save us from our sin and our selves, 

and that is great cause to rejoice! 





So even though my time and my energy and my enthusiasm have been in short supply during this Christmas season 

and even though it was a gift card season 

and there is no festive garland around my front door

and I didn't send Christmas cards 

or bake any cookies




I have done what I could . . . and I have rejoiced in His coming! 




I have made the house festive, little by little, mostly by decorating everything the same as in past years. (It was not the year for new ideas or fresh creativity.)




Christmas music, new and old, has been a highlight of this season. Attending a Collingsworth Family Christmas concert (which was amazing). Listening to music at home and in the van as I am out and about. Singing carols with my church family at an assisted living home. Learning Christmas songs for our worship team and making room for those new songs in my heart. Listening to some of Mom's favorite Christmas CDs as we run errands together. Listening to Bekah's Christmas playlist as we take coffee-drives to decompress. And even hosting a "Soup & Carols" gathering for our church music team and their families. Yes, even with my limited time and energy, it was life-giving and so worth it.










I have sipped my morning coffee out of a pretty mug that was my Daddy's and I have remembered him and his love for Christmas. I don't know if he ever drank a Starbucks coffee, but he loved their seasonal coffee mugs and had a small collection of them. Mom gave me this one and I treasure it. 



I hope you did not get whiplash on this year's "house tour" . . . as we hopped around from room to room while I talked! But I have hosted this little cyber home tour ever since I began my blog and I didn't want to stop this year. (You can find any of my other tours ~ here ~.) 


I am going to leave you with a song. 

I have heard this song all my life and have sung it countless times. But in November when Mom, my sister Linda, and I had our annual Mother/Daughter Christmas Shopping Day, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" was playing on a Spotify playlist as we drove from one store to another. I wasn't even giving it my full attention, when all of a sudden, as if it was the very first time, I heard these lyrics strong and clear and it stopped me in my tracks. 


            Remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas day 
           To save us all from Satan's pow'r when we were gone astray 


And before I could even say anything, Linda said, "Listen at those words!" as she, too, was hearing and feeling it afresh. 

For really, that is what our celebration is all about! That is why He came! 

And that is truly "tidings of comfort and joy!" 



Merry Christmas, my friends!
May you know the reality of those "tidings of comfort and joy!" 

26 comments:

  1. What a sweet post about your house and the daily activities that you have been going through this year. It's nice to use the old and familiar things when we decorate. You have a lovely home.
    I know what you mean when you say you just realized certain words of a song. It comes to you through a thought and then you can rethink on those things. Have you heard of Lanier Ivester? She will be writing an Advent book for next year, and she is posting updates on her Instagram account (lanierivester) The title is "Glad and Golden Hours" based on a line from "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear".
    You stop and think about words from a song especially when it's a different tune. Her 2nd Blog is gladandgolden.com which will explain all about it.
    Thank you for sharing. Safe travels for those family members who will be coming to visit you (or if you travel to them). We get to stay close to home this year again (and visit our family), and we are so thankful for that. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melissa, for your kind words! It really was a comfort to do "repeat" decorating this year. It allowed us to be festive without a lot of thought.

      I believe that I read some of Lanier Ivester's posts several years ago, visiting from a link at Brenda's (Coffee, Tea, Books, and Me) blog. I will have to check out her Instagram account. I love when people discuss hymns and lyrics and their deep truths via poetic phrases.

      Our son and his family will be traveling to us. Kati and family were here for Thanksgiving this year, so we won't see them at Christmas. It's wonderful that you and your sons and their families all live close to one another. I am sure that you have been reassured many times that you made a good choice by moving near to them.

      Merry Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. Like you, I have had a fairly minimal approach to making and doing this year. I just keep doing a little at a time, enjoying the simplicity of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are years for going all out and there are years for keeping it simple. There is also wisdom in knowing which one is best for the time. Keep on enjoying your simple celebration of His coming!

      Delete
  3. Your home is always lovely, and Christmas is being fully celebrated because you are celebrating His coming! I was thinking about how I miss getting a Christmas tour in person! Love you friend!

    Deanna Rabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Deanna! You are right . . . celebrating His coming is what it's all about! It would be wonderful to have you come again, Christmas or any time! I love you too!

      Delete
  4. As you once said to me in a season of hardship - forging ahead with joy. I’ve been where you are Cheryl - it’s been 2 years since I lost my mom after caring for her in our home for a year and a half. You and yours are in my prayers and will continue to be. Carol (formerly Our Sears Kit Home)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I do remember saying that . . . and I am attempting to take my own advice! Only in His strength are we able do that!

      Only two years. I am sure that your loss still feels fresh in many ways. To know that you are praying for me means so much!

      Delete
  5. Oh dear one, I hear you and pray that peace fills your heart. Sending you and yours comfort and joy this Holy Christmas season. Please know that you have touched me with this beautifully written post.
    Your home looks beautiful, my friend. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet friend, I can always feel your caring through your words, and I am heartened by it! It is I who has been touched. He is giving us joy in this season in which joy and lament are often hand-in-hand. Merry Christmas to you and yours, Martha Ellen!

      Delete
  6. What an uplifting post, Cheryl. I am glad you had so many good things to pour into this Christmas season - the first Christmas without your father. My heart goes out to you and I pray that you continue to be surprised by God's mercies, comfort and love for you.

    I enjoyed the tour. I love seeing all the beautiful Christmas touches you gave to your home. It's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you found this post uplifting! That is my intent . . . to be real about life's struggles, but to point to the Source of joy who is Jesus! I thank you for such a beautiful prayer: " . . . to be surprised by God's mercies, comfort and love for you." Beautiful!

      Thank you for joining our Christmas tour!

      Delete
  7. We have all gone astray and we all need our Savior, A Christmas miracle. That is something how both you and your sister keyed into that phrase from the song. I love your father's mug that was gifted to you. Glad you have been given the strength to do a few meaningful things and even to be able to host events in your home. It was special to have this Christmas Tour in your season of hardship and grief. Good to see and read how God is comforting all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Ellen, for visiting and for your always kind and encouraging comments! In the midst of this hard year, God has been so gracious to us, in so many ways. Step by step . . .

      Delete
  8. This is such a beautiful, inspiring message. And your home looks lovely! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mrs. White! It is encouraging to me that you have found it inspiring! Blessings to you too!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful tour - your home looks so comforting and welcoming. And sometimes the tried and true ways work best when new creative endeavours and energy are at a premium. Thank God for his great gift to our world. Blessings to you, Cheryl. May those tidings of comfort and joy sustain throughout the Christmas season and all through the new year. Heart hugs, Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Brenda! "Tried and true" has stood me in good stead this year. (So thankful for photos that help me remember what worked!) With you, I thank God for His great gift . . . Emmanuel! {{{Hugs}}} back to you!

      Delete
  10. A lovely tour, Cheryl. Here, too, Christmas preparations have been minimal. I am so thankful for the promise of Immanuel - God with us. The words of O Come, O Come Immanuel have resonated with me this year - how we long for Christ's presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lorrie! Oh yes, "God with us" is the best promise ever, and it is He who sustains us through this "veil of tears." (As a child, I heard people refer to this world as a "veil of tears" and the phrase caught my ears, but I didn't understand it. Now I do.)

      Delete
  11. Aw Cheryl, your home always looks so beautiful and welcoming! I too am wrangling with how to go on and this "new to me" house has been decorated sparsely this year. Your empty chair brings tears I'm sure. Thankfully tho, we can see the light and love that still exists there. God is Good!!! Blessings to you and to your dear loved ones. Hugs ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosella! It was important to me to celebrate Christ's coming again this year because He is worthy and He came to rescue the hurting and the sick and the sinful and the dying. Loss is hard and it goes deep, as you well know, but, as you also know, God is Good!! {{{Hugs}}} and blessings back to you!

      Delete
  12. Cheryl, these past two years have given us challenge after challenge, and I appreciate your "being real about life's struggles" while keeping in mind the source of joy. Losing your father is such a blow, and all the "firsts" without him will be hard. My father died 17 years ago and I've never stopped missing him. Seeing these photos in your home reminded me of something I love about your home that I don't think I've ever mentioned: You have managed to make the traditional style look modern (for lack of a better word). That is what I have always attempted—updated traditional, I guess you'd call it. Traditional doesn't have to mean old-fashioned (in the pejorative sense of the word!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, thank you for your thoughtful comment! I have found that joy and lament can (and often do) walk hand-in-hand. I have seen in others that one never stops missing a parent who is gone, and now it is mine to experience. I hear your heart as you talk about those 17 years without your father.

      Oh, I am sorry that you are experiencing "challenge after challenge." How can we do it without the Lord? I think we can't, and so I will pray for you too!

      Thank you for your kind words about our home! I love that description ("updated traditional") and that is very much a compliment!

      Delete
  13. Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted
    to mention that I've really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    After all I will be subscribing in your rss feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...