As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Commonplace Stretch

Summer seems endless this year. The heat goes on and on and on. (Have I mentioned that I don't like the heat? Probably so.) I need to be taking advantage of these school-less days, but my motivation is lagging. So when I came across these words in Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink, they touched a chord in my own heart, and I wanted to hug dear Caddie for understanding!

The tender new leaves on the trees were almost as many-colored as in autumn. Some were softly yellow, some pinkish-red, some like bronze or copper. Later they would all be green, and they would grow dusty with summer and look tired and languid in the heat. But now everything was fresh and young.

“A magic time of year,” Caddie called it to herself. She loved both spring and fall. At the turning of the year things seemed to stir in her that were lost sight of in the commonplace stretches of winter and summer.

Yes, I am "tired and languid" in this "commonplace stretch" of summer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not familiar with this book, Cheryl. It's wonderful when you stumble upon a paragraph where someone else has expressed those things that you find so difficult to express yourself. You read the words and just go ... "Yes!" The commonplace stretches. I think we have those spiritually, too ... times when it seems like winter and summer in our souls.

    I think most of us are feeling the tiredness of this long, hot, dry summer. Maybe Fall will be all the sweeter, just because of these commonplace stretches we have endured.

    May you be refreshed ... and may more dear words find their way to your eyes and heart; words that will call forth that "Yes!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...