As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: Recipe Edition




For this week's Thrifty Thursday, Kristin has asked us to share a thrifty recipe. As I considered a recipe to share, my thoughts turned to my mother-in-law, who is probably the thriftiest person I know. All of her children fondly remember her making biscuits day after day. She raised eight children on those biscuits! And why not? Biscuits are easy to make, the ingredients are cheap, and they extend the meal.

So for Thrifty Thursday, I decided to share my own biscuit recipe.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


BAKING POWDER BISCUITS:

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 stick of butter
2/3 cup milk


1. Mix all dry ingredients.

2. Using pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly.


3. Add milk; stir quickly with fork.

4. On floured surface, knead gently 10-12 strokes, just until dough holds together. Roll to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out.




5. Bake in hot (450°) oven for 9 minutes. Tops will be lightly golden.



Variations:
~ Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits: Sprinkle a little cinnamon and a few raisins on dough, then fold over and cut out. Drizzle with a glaze of confectioner's sugar and a few drops of water.

~ Herb Biscuits: Stir in a tablespoon or two of dried or fresh herbs (dill, thyme, other) with the dry ingredients.

~ Shortcakes: Increase sugar to 1/4 cup. Cut out with a larger cutter (I use a drinking glass). Top with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.


1 comment:

  1. I thought I had the same recipe since we have the same cookbook. But I've always wondered why my biscuits taste different than yours...and now I know. Your have more baking powder. I will be sure to change this next time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...