As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, July 24, 2010

"Unexpected Pleasure"


We all love presents. Traditionally we’ve grown to expect a birthday or an anniversary present, but we are especially touched when we receive something out of the blue. Think of your gift-giving as bringing an unexpected pleasure to someone you care about. An element of surprise intensifies satisfaction. There is a double emotional impact when a present is given to you because someone thought of you, or came across a book that “has your name on it.”


~ from Living a Beautiful Life by Alexandra Stoddard

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Twice recently, I've had "unexpected pleasure" from two precious friends from my church fellowship.

Sweet Frances, after learning of my infatuation with napkins, surprised me one Sunday morning with these beautiful ones.



And dear Terri, knowing that I am a bit sheep-ish, delighted me with her yard sale find, "Peggy in Her Field." Peggy has found a home here. :-)



My mother is a longtime "just because" gift giver. When is the last time you have surprised someone with a gift...just because? I have determined to do this more often.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, Cheryl. I'm just seeing this. How sweet. I used to give "just because" gifts all the time but have gotten away from that in recent years. I would love to be more attentive to looking and listening for those little hints of some special touch that would make a dear one happy .... not because it's a birthday or Christmas, but "just because." I was so pleased when I read your blog post about your addiction to napkins, partly because it made me know of something I could give you that would really make you happy. Thanks so much for the ice cream gathering this evening. It was special just spending time with you. Hugs ....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...