As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fweets

When Bekah was small, she wanted me to feed her. I don't mean provide food for her to eat...I mean pick it up on the fork and place it in her mouth. And this was after the age where she was perfectly capable of doing it herself. Somehow, she could manage to eat her dinner if the food got to her mouth, but could not manage to make herself eat it alone. Go figure. But when you're a forty-something mom, and you know from experience that kids do indeed move on to the next stage eventually, you choose to feed the little one rather than have mealtime disintegrate into a coaching session of now-you-pick-up-more-food-and-now-you-put-the-bite-into-your-mouth that seems to go on endlessly and interrupts normal conversation and pleasantries. It just isn't worth it.

source
One evening, I had gone through the regular routine of spoon-feeding the preschooler. Dinner was over, but Ron had brought home a box of Tastykake chocolate cupcakes. I opened a two-pack, offering a cupcake to Bekah. When I next looked, she had already devoured both of the cupcakes, too quick to talk about!

Amazed, I questioned her. "Bekah, why is it that I have to feed you dinner, and then you eat two cupcakes that fast by yourself?"

"Oh," she replied simply, "I feed myself fweets."

3 comments:

  1. That's so funny, Cheryl. I adore your little stories .....

    Unfortunately, I feed myself fweets, too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it easier to eat fweets, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids are funny. My son will try anything new as long as it's junk food. If he thinks it might be healthy, he won't even come near it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...