As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, September 3, 2009

What's the Goal?

You would probably have to go a long way to find a more enthusiastic homeschooler than this mama. I’m a cheerleader for homeschooling. “You can do it!” I say to women who ask me. “He will guide you!” “It’s worth the sacrifice of time and resources.”
In my heart, I believe that homeschooling is the best way to live out Deuteronomy 6:7. (And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.) Twice I have stood on the other side of the homeschool journey (two have graduated, two to come) and I have not regretted for an instant the choice we made. Not for an instant.

So I will admit to a certain disappointment when a homeschooling parent changes course and chooses another schooling situation.

But do I think that homeschooling is THE answer to raising Godly children? No, I do not. Sadly, I have seen many young adults who were homeschooled, but do not walk with the Lord. And I have also known people who were educated in traditional schools who love Him with a fervent love.

A family member recently returned to public school after being homeschooled for several years. His mother said to me, “Having deliberated most of the summer, we came to the conclusion that we want A__ to go to Heaven.” Yes.
And Humble Amy (whose blog I have followed for years) said here, “I want to again stand behind what I’ve said before, that faithful children are a blessing, and homeschooling is a very good way to raise faithful children. Homeschooling is a means to an end, as opposed to an end in itself.” Amen.

My goal is to be faithful to obey His leading.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...