As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, June 18, 2010

A Father's Lesson

Today, I'd like to share an article that Ron wrote for our local homeschool newsletter a few years ago...


A Moment of Epiphany

Long ago, I learned an important lesson in setting priorities.

It was over twenty years ago. I was a very busy young father who was trying to make ends meet in every way that I could. I would often do side jobs to supplement our income, and spent most Saturdays away from home after working a full time job Monday through Friday. Therefore, it was my wife who got to spend all of the quality time with the children on Saturday activities.

One Saturday morning, my wife was on her way out the door to take my son, Ryan, who was about six-years-old, to a Royal Rangers scouting event...when I had that moment of epiphany. That little boy was following his mother out the door, when I realized that it should have been me that he was following. The moment is frozen in my memory. I can still see that little blond boy, dressed in his Royal Ranger uniform, with a comb sticking out of his back pocket.

Because of prior obligations, I could not go after him that day. But I promised myself that from then on, it would be me that he would be following, and it would be me who would be taking him to the events that would shape his life.

I kept that promise, and have always made it a priority to do the important things with my children. As fathers, we feel the pressure to provide financially for our families, but the moments that we spend with our children are far more important than that extra dollar we make.

Yes, that was over twenty years ago. I am now the father of two adult children and two still at home. I have realized how short the time is that we have with our children. Fathers, my advice to you is to do everything that you can with your children while they are with you. Don’t wait until it is too late to have your own moment of epiphany!


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ron is the patriarch of our growing family. This photo was taken in March 2009--the last time we were all under one roof! There were 14 of us then...and still are, although that is due to change this autumn.



Enjoying last Father's Day with his children and grandchildren


Because Ron is their father,
these four are blessed!

Bekah, Kati, Ryan, Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...