As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Nature Study...Up Close and Personal

UPDATE:  Since posting this yesterday, my son Ryan suggested that our "quick identification" may have been a bit too quick!  We have been round and round as to whether our raptor was a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-shinned Hawk...although the current opinion is leaning toward the Cooper's Hawk.  Opinions?

***
Bekah and I had just settled on the loveseat in the kitchen to read the next chapter of The Year of Miss Agnes, when I heard a thumping noise on the back porch.  I looked over toward the back door and saw this visitor...IN the porch!  (The porch door is kept ajar so that our very timid outdoor cat can get to his food and water and eat in peace...and our visitor must have flown through the open door.)


We quickly identified him as a red-tailed hawk and Bekah ran to get the camera.  (That's my girl!)  She snapped a few pictures, but our hawk friend seemed distressed, so we ended his photo shoot, closed Pinky in the bathroom (she was watching him from the back door like a hawk...pun intended), and the broom and I encouraged him to move in the direction of the slightly open door.  (I did not touch our friend with the broom; I merely used it as an extension of myself to shoo him away.  I was a bit cautious of those talons...and that hooked beak, for that matter!)

Nothing like a little nature study right at your back door! 

*Click this link for interesting facts about the red-tailed hawk, including some audio of his call!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is definitely nature study,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing Cheryl!! I've never seen anything quite like it. We have red-tails around here and I was kind of proud of a picture I got of one taking off from the top of a tree using my zoom... You win!! :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...