As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Sunday, October 23, 2011

{31 Days to Make a House a Home} Day 23 ~ Consider Homeschooling

If your children are small and you have begun to think about school choices...or if your children are in a traditional school and they spend most of their day outside of the home (and a chunk of the time they are at home doing homework)...

Consider homeschooling. 

My older two children were in the 6th and 4th grades when we (finally) decided to take the path of homeschooling.  I had considered it for several years, but didn't think that I could do it. 

I was a nervous wreck.  Even though I was convinced that the Lord wanted us to do this, and I even became enthused about it, I thought that it meant the end of my "freedom" and the beginning of a difficult task. 

So wasn't I surprised when I found that (in some ways) it was easier?  No longer were we pulled apart, spending the greater part of the day in different places. No longer did my children need to follow the agendas of other people (and not the people who loved them).  No longer were we slaves to the schedule that someone else had set, nor were we slaves to their ideas.

By the end of our first week of homeschooling, I knew that we had found our way.  It was God-centered.  It was home-centered.  Our family worshiped together, prayed together, tended our house together, learned together.  We had become a team. 

Bringing our children home to school was one way that we made our house a home. 

(Oh...and that "freedom"?  I never missed it!)

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

 
More of my musings about home education...
          A Lesson in Abundance
          What's the Goal?

 

4 comments:

  1. Yes!

    We have always homeschooled and I thank a mentor of mine for that. When I was a late teen she started to homeschool her children and I saw that it was good, and that you could do it and the benefits of it. That was when I decided to homeschool my own kids someday. My husband was willing but not really interested - it was my thing - until the Lord changed his heart!

    Now it is our live style and such a blessing!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad we listened to the call to homeschool... we heard it a few years before, but were afraid because we didn't know anyone that homeschooled their children, so we sent Jordan to kindergarten. She didn't have a bad experience, but her being away for half a day solidified our thoughts about teaching the girls at home. We never looked back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "freedom"?

    "There is a wonder and wildness to life,and freedom for those who obey" says Michael Card

    :) Isn't He grand?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, thank you for sharing that! That thought brought tears to my eyes.
    Yes, He is grand!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...