As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Baby Sister Turns 50!


My earliest memory is peeking into the bassinet at my new baby sister, Linda.  It was the beginning of a life-long relationship.  As little girls, we shared a room, played paper dolls, acted out the Rogers and Hammerstein version of "Cinderella" (we took turns being Cinderella), sang together in church, and shared secrets.  As older girls, we shared clothes and friends and more secrets.  When we became adults, we continued our sister-bond as we married and raised children who were close in age, and went shopping and traded babysitting and stories and laughs.  We are sisters and we are friends.

When Linda and I were teenagers, people often asked which one of us was older.  I was terribly offended.  Mom always told me that one day I'd love for someone to ask me that, but that was no comfort at age 15.  I was two years and four months older for Heaven's sake!  

No one asks us that any more.  (Bummer.)  


Today, my much younger sister turned fifty.  We celebrated this milestone with a wonderful meal, special gifts, festive decorations (including a large picture of Linda from every decade), and funny stories about the birthday girl.  Good times!  

Beautiful in every decade!





One of the best things about being 50?  Being old enough to be a grandmother!



HAPPY
BIRTHDAY,
LINDA!

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your sissy! I always wished for a sister....

    I wish I were more organized and would have thought to invite you all to Lindsay's birthday party tonight! I know said your inlaws were coming tonight but IF you were to be able to come, we would have you stay with us overnight!!!!! Let me know! How fun that would be!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very happy birthday wish to Linda! Aren't sisters one of the best gifts ever. My older sister and I are very close, and when we were teenagers she would get upset when others thought I was older! I loved it though, but not now. lol
    Happy New year, Cheryl.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, the two of you are just a coupla spring chickens! What a great celebration for a gal who's making 50 look fabulous!

    (Don't you think people look younger than ever before? I so do. I look at the old photos and think that gal looks so old and then I realize that she would have been twenty years younger than myself in that year.)

    Happy New Year to you and yours, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your sister, Linda! And wishing you and your wonderful family all the best for a bright and happy New Year! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your Sister. She Is certainly wearing 50 well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...