As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Grandmother Dishes


On Resurrection Sunday, I debuted The Grandmother Dishes. 



Technically, it wasn't their debut, because this china was gracing tables long before I was born. They once belonged to my great-grandmother Anna. (I told you about Anna ~here~.) Then, they went to her only daughter, my great-aunt Minerva. Aunt Minerva never married, but she valued family history and carefully preserved treasures and stories. 



The next keeper of the china was Great-Aunt Minerva's niece, my Aunt Lynn. 



Lynn, too, never married, so when she passed away on Christmas day, another generation was to be given the care of these family heirlooms. My mother and my aunt (Lynn's sisters) decided that I, the oldest great-granddaughter, would receive them. 



And because I believe in using heirlooms so that they have a place in family memories, The Grandmother dishes made their debut appearance at my table on Resurrection Sunday

All photos by Kati


If dishes could talk, I'd love to hear the stories of days gone by. But I'll have to be content to make new memories, to tell new stories with those around my table. 

16 comments:

  1. Such a sweet pattern. Glad they got handed down to you and you are using them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are just beautiful, Cheryl. I'm so glad you have them. I know you'll treasure them. It is so nice that they didn't end up in an antique store somewhere, but that family can enjoy their loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dishes Cheryl--and more than beautiful is the history they hold. I love family heirlooms and cherish those that have been passed down to me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Cheryl, they are truly lovely. What a sweet remembrance. I have my grandmother's china which I consider a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I can't tell you how much I LOVE things like this. Dishes (especially for some reason) passed down from one to generation to the next kept in the family is just soo as it should be. As family members gather around the table sharing their lives and their memories. And I especially LOVE that you are USING them. Soo many of these kind of things tend to be set aside and NEVER used. They are beautiful btw too. Enjoy them as often as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these--such a pretty pattern. It's so nice that you are using them, building new memories. As you say, the stories they could tell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely with a pattern that is perfect for a spring and summer table. I am glad that you are using them and enjoying them. All the keepers of the china would be so pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dishes with an even lovelier story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love this post Cheryl.
    Using Great Grandmother's China to serve your special dinner to your grandchildren bridges all those generations. It teaches history and heritage and reaches ahead to leaving a legacy.
    I'm grateful to serve holiday feasts to my extended family on china I collected as a teenager to fill my hopechest, and using linens my own great great grandmother hand hemmed and embroidered in the old country.
    I am also a firm believer in using our heirlooms - they make history come alive and remind us of who we are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are beautiful! I LOVE old china.

    I was reading a simplicity blog recently when the person who writes it talked about things they got rid of because they never used them. One was their set of heirloom inherited dishes.

    Although I rarely take time to comment even on friend's blogs (due to sharing a computer now), I made certain to leave a comment there... reminding people to check with other relatives before giving away heirloom china!

    I have a friend who was brokenhearted because her sister did so without telling anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely set of china...and the memories they hold....you are right...if ony they could talk! It looks like they were well taken care of and I know you must be getting great joy from using them on your table.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These dishes are so lovely, your whole table was beautiful, right down to the crease in the napkin delicately tied with the slim pink ribbon! Lots of daughters and granddaughters for you to share these dishes with, Cheryl. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful dishes with a beautiful story! I am the oldest great-granddaughter on all sides, as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheryl, I have been reading your blog for about a week now. I find it encourages me to be more intentional at homemaking and loving on my girls (ages 9 & 13). Thank you for taking the time to write your blog. Your Easter table is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The china is beautiful, Cheryl. Your table looks so lovely! I have some china that belonged to my mother and grandmother that I should use more often. This post is a good reminder to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love hearing stories like yours Cheryl, and I'm sure there's a lot more that you could tell us.

    Your china plates hold such precious memories of family and all the special times you shared together.

    It's a very pretty pattern and brings grace to your table.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...