As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Savoring Summer {Week 6 ~ Farm Fresh Corn Chowder}


One of the pleasures of summer is farm fresh produce, whether it comes from your own garden, a friend's, or a local produce stand or farmer's market. Our Walmart usually has a large bin of locally grown sweet corn all summer long, and that's where I went to buy fresh corn for our corn chowder last weekend

Using fresh corn cut off the cob made a big flavor difference in this chowder. It tasted like summer!





  
Farm Fresh Corn Chowder


4 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons butter
1 yellow onion, diced
5 ears fresh corn, shucked
3 small potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
32 oz. chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
3 T corn meal
1/4 cup water


***

Use a sharp knife (I used an electric knife) to cut corn off of the cob.  Set aside.

Cook bacon pieces in large pot over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add diced onion and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.

 Add butter; melt. Add corn; stir and cook for a couple of minutes.

Add broth, cream, milk, potatoes, thyme, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low.

Mix corn meal and water. Stir into chowder and cook for 15 minutes.




NOTE: For our Sunday afternoon group of eleven, I doubled the amounts in this recipe, but the four of us each had a bowl of soup for dinner on Sunday evening, and we still had enough for lunch another day.


Do you even make soup in the summertime? (I rarely do, but this was worth the exception.)








Looking for a recipe from another week?
Week 1: Marinade for Chicken
Week 2: Black Bean Salad
Week 3: Cappuccino Pops
Week 4: Roasted Sausage and Vegetable Pasta
Week 5: Easy-Freezy Vanilla Ice Cream

Or last year?
Fruit on Tuesday Week 6: Key Lime Pie

Or two years ago?
  

10 comments:

  1. I love soup and this looks real good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm one of my favorite soups. It sounds like the work of using fresh corn is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE soup any time of the year! This sounds wonderful I love corn chowder and am saving the recipe to make for us this summer!

    Hope that you are enjoying your week!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll eat soup any day of the year. When it's exceptionally warm out, a bowl of cold gazpacho or avocado cucumber soup is delicious! Love corn chowder and using fresh corn would take it to a higher level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds so yummy. I am avoiding corn (a long story) but it is gluten free! Yay! Another long story. I may give this a whirl, thoufh at some point this summer. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I never think to make corn chowder (maybe because it's a summer thing and, like you said, don't make soup as much then), but this looks like one that's going on my must-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love corn chowder and have it often, but I have never used fresh corn. We won't have fresh, local corn until late August. The wait will be awful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't usually make soup in the summer but perhaps I'll make an exception for this. I make a similar recipe in winter, but I'll be fresh corn is way better than canned. Isn't is usually?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really good. I haven't had this kind of soup before. Time to branch out!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. We still have soup in the summer occasionally. Certain kinds of soups seem to go well in summer. Tonight we had a 3-bean chicken chowder which is filling, but not as heavy a lot of winter soups.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...