As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, November 24, 2014

A Quick Thanksgiving Recipe {Cranberry Conserve}



The Thanksgiving meal is one of the best of the entire year! It is so worth it to take extra time for letting bread rise and for chopping vegetables for stuffing and for baking pies and for roasting the turkey. (Granted, I don't have to do all that myself. Many people contribute to our feast these days!)

But I have an old standby recipe that is quick! Like, you-can-make-it-in-5-minutes quick! And it's yummy. It is from Good Housekeeping magazine, November 1988, and I have made it for years and years. I even made it last year when Kristin brought her homemade cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving. (We had to have some cranberry to eat with our leftover turkey!)

I love that the pears in this recipe mellow the cranberry a bit and the ginger spices it up a little.

And did I mention that it's easy?




QUICK CRANBERRY CONSERVE
(Makes 3 cups.)

1 16-oz. can whole berry cranberry sauce
1 16-oz. can pear halves, drained and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup dark seedless raisins
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

***

In medium bowl, stir all ingredients until mixed.

Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. 




Is cranberry a "must" on your Thanksgiving table? 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds so good, Cheryl. Second person today who was making cranberry conserve with pear and ginger. I just made my cranberry sauce, cooking the crans in oj and water and sugar with a cinnamon stick. Then adding crushed pineapple. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cranberry, but even if I only liked it, I don't think we could do without it on Thanksgiving. I can't wait to make my cranberry sauce again this year. It smelled divine last year while it was cooking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an easy recipe!

    My mom makes a cranberry salad and I have been making a fresh cranberry sauce the last few years. They are staples now for us at Thanksgiving!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had something like this at our book club. It looks so easy and good! Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I love cranberries (any surprise there?) and pears. What's not to like about this recipe. Thanks so much for posting it. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, and that one looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...