As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, April 6, 2020

Up-Hill


I am repeating a post that I wrote three years ago. Although some of the specific circumstances are different, the underlying theme seems quite appropriate for these days . . . 



     Does the road wind up-hill all the way?
          Yes, to the very end.
    Will the day's journey take the whole long day?
          From morn to night, my friend.
          ~ Christina Rossetti

image source



As bloggers, we often share the pretty parts of our lives. Beautiful children and grandchildren. Happy family gatherings. Pretty food. Freshly painted and spruced up rooms. Cheerful holiday decorations. Joyful occasions. Victories. 

When I show you those "pretty" things, they are real and they are true. I am so very blessed. 

But also real and also true is the fact that life is hard

"The road wind(s) up-hill."

Twenty-two years ago today, I delivered a stillborn baby, a little girl whom we named Kara Joy. Two days before, I had gone for a routine sonogram at 19 weeks of pregnancy and we were stunned to learn that our baby had no heartbeat. (There had been a normal heartbeat at my prenatal appointment a few weeks earlier.)

It rocked my world, and left me with a raw, jagged wound. Yes, I rested in my Savior, knowing that God is only always good, but my mother-heart ached for many years.

Life is hard. 

As we ran an errand together this week, I said to Kati, "This has been a hard year so far."

It has. 

Among our circle, since the year began there has been illness . . . yucky-but-relatively-quick viruses, and also long term serious illness. There have been muddled situations. Hurt feelings. Discouragement. A friend lost her job suddenly. Someone we love has come to the end of himself battling addiction; everyone in his family is affected. Another friend lost his father. Another friend has seen her husband's health decline even further, stretching their family's time and resources precariously thin.

Life is hard. 

At the beginning of this week, we had to say good-bye to our sweet boy kitty, Puss. He had lost quite a bit of weight over the winter. It turns out he had (among other things) FIV. He battled one infection after another and then took a turn for the worse over the weekend.

Oh, I know that Puss is an animal and I am not equating the loss of a pet with the pain of human loss or suffering or addiction. But, if you are an animal lover, you know that there is heartache when a beloved fur baby passes. It hurts.

Yes, life is hard. 

Please don't think that this is a sob story. I do not tell you these things so that you will feel sorry for me. Your own heartache, your loss, your struggles may be much greater than mine. I only tell you to acknowledge we are all on that up-hill road.

But, if we belong to Jesus, we are not without hope!

I certainly don't pretend to know the "why" of all my struggles, much less yours. But might I suggest that a part of the answer is so that we don't get too comfortable here? That our hearts might be kept longing for a better place?

"Heaven is not here, it's There. If we were given all we wanted here, our hearts would settle for this world rather than the next." ~ Elisabeth Elliot

Even as we walk the road that winds up-hill, we can know that He is with us. "Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." "For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'"

We do not walk the road alone.

Let us live as those whose hearts are longing for Heaven, for the road will wind up-hill to the very end.

26 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this for such a time as this. Hugs. I am longing for that better place. It would be wonderful to meet Him in the air on Easter! In joy and in sorrow He is with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{Hugs}}} back, Ellen! Indeed, may we focus on what's ahead for the believer!

      Delete
    2. Wow, to be raptured on Easter would be amazing and wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I love this post, Cheryl. Thank you for sharing so openly about hard things, and yet be so uplifting. I've only become acquainted with you through your blog a short time ago, but even I know you've had some very hard things already this year. Your's is the perfect spot from which to write these words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to add that I'm going to go read your post again. When I scrolled up I saw that this was a post you wrote three years ago! When I read it the first time, I thought of the passing of your mother-in-law, and your daughter's pregnancy that the present situation prevents you from experiencing as you would if life was normal. Yes, this year has had its hardships for you as well. Okay... now, I'm going to re-read your post.

      Delete
    2. Becki, as I read both of your comments, I am struck with the thought:

      Yes! An up-hill climb three years ago . . . an up-hill climb again this year. Because it is all up-hill. Not without joy, by any means! But certainly not without difficulty. We are sojourners, passing through, we who are on the road to Heaven!

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful post. All who belong to the Lord long for that blessed day when we will see Him face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cheryl. It's always helpful to stop and realise that so many peole are suffering in different ways. Our awful year was last year when in February my husband was near death in hospital. He survived, frail but battling on. This year I remember saying...'Once I get through February I'll feel safe'. Little did we know what was going to hit the world.
    With God's grace we will make it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I remember reading about those difficult days on your blog. So hard! I have been thinking lately about safety and I have been meditating on this verse: The name of the Lord is a strong tower. The righteous run to it and are safe. We think in terms of physical safety, but I think it is far more than that, because if we are in Him, we are safe no matter what!

      Delete
  5. It is appropriate for now! Good truths and reminders of God's faithfulness to us and his grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always encouraging to remind ourselves and others of His great faithfulness and grace! It is faith-building!

      Delete
  6. Uphill all the way...that's a sobering thought. Sometimes I feel as if I have been trudging along for some time now and am ready for a seat on the sidelines. The Lord, I know, carries us along for much of the way. Thinking of Kati and of my niece whom both are expecting babies right off. My niece's date is the 12th... She does not know if the baby will be delivered at the hospital or at home...depends...

    Thank you for this repeat...I know that all this is for our good and not for our harm since God is on the job. People are open to the Gospel right now. This won't last, but it sure is an opportunity.

    Much love to your family...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a sobering thought. Don't we long for that seat on the sidelines? I do too! But what really matters is that He is in the boat with us.

      My heart is heavy that we may not be able to see Kati and Andrew and their sweet baby when he is born, and that they will spend these beginning days in isolation from loved ones. It is hard. I am sad for all of those who are expecting babies during this time (and will be praying for your niece) . . . and for those who are missing/postponing weddings and graduations and milestone events . . . and for those who lose loved ones and cannot mark that occasion as they wish to . . . and of course, for those who are sick and even dying. I do believe, as you have said, that God will use this for the good of those who are His! And I pray with you for those whose hearts are open to the Gospel!

      Much love back to you, dear friend! ❤

      Delete
  7. I remember this post, and it's timely for today. Thank you for reposting a sensitive piece of writing that speaks to all of us in some measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dotsie. I think it is important to remember His faithfulness on the up-hill climb.

      Delete
  8. I too remember this post as Dotsie said. Life is hard, but there is joy in the morning. These are trying times....I too appreciate you reposting, Cheryl. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. Don't we look forward to that "joy in the morning"?! Praying that you all stay well.

      Delete
  9. Thank you Cheryl for sharing this post again. It is very timely for what we are going through right now. God did not promise us that we would not have hard times, He promised that He would be with us 'through' them. God's continued blessings on you and your family ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Lorraine . . . and so thankful for that promise! Blessings to you too!

      Delete
  10. i'm offering a virtual {{{hug}}} because I know the pain of which you speak on not all but many levels. bless you dearly, my friend. you're loved. the Elisabeth Elliot quote is a lovely and oh so true and oh so brings hope to my heart. this life is but a whisper but heaven ??? forever !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, your kind words go straight to my heart. Indeed, you do know pain and I am so glad that these stumbling words have stirred fresh hope in your heart. (How often I need to be reminded of these things!)

      Yes, forever!!

      Delete
  11. There is a song that comes to mind after I read your beautiful, heartfelt post..."Life is Hard but God is Good". Your post sums it all up. How do folks get through life without Him? That's the saddest part of all. Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good song! Debby, I truly don't know how folks get through life without Him. Thank you for your kind comment, friend.

      Delete
  12. Elisabeth Elliot had so many great quotes!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she certainly did . . . a treasure trove!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...