As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, April 1, 2022

Five on Friday


It has 
been a busy week!

I am no longer a homeschooling mama, and I don't work outside of the home, but I have found that there is always plenty to do. Some weeks, more than enough. I haven't even had a chance to tell you about the Spring Birthday Celebration we had last weekend. Next week, okay?

In the meantime, I'll share five snippets from our week. 
 

{one}

March in Maryland went out more like a lion than a lamb.

We've had a little bit of everything this past week . . . rain, snow flurries, crazy wind, cold. But April dawned mostly sunny (although there was a brief rain shower while I was running an errand this afternoon) and warmer. Tulips are popping up all over town. Spring is springing!

I have created a desktop calendar for April. Fee free to use it if you'd like. Simply right click on the photo and save to your photo files. 




{two}

This precious baby turned ONE this week! Happy birthday, beautiful Joanna! 




{three}


My sister Linda and I spent some time at my parents' house this week, helping Mom clean out a closet. We came across several packets of photos, some old, some older, including this gem that is screaming 1980s! 

A few observations:
◼ Big hair was a thing. 
◼ Apparently, lace collars were too. 
◼ Family resemblance runs strong. We look at our son Ryan in this photo and we see his son, Paul! 
◼ Youth is fleeting. 
◼ Life is a vapor. (James 4:4)




{four}

Because Bekah and Maddie were close in age, Kristin and I have always stored all of the girls' clothing in our attic, and we have a biannual try-on day. It's always such a fun day of twirling and posing and frills! This week we had the spring/summer try-on and the next day, a try-on day from seven years ago showed up in my Facebook memories. 
            2015: Alaine and Maddie  ~  2022: Maddie, Macie, and Alaine


{five} 

I encountered this quote-within-a-quote this week and remembered that I had shared it here on my blog a few years ago. 

"George Macdonald said, 'If you knew what God knows about death you would clap your listless hands,' but instead I find old people in North America just buying this whole youth obsession. I think growing older is a wonderful privilege. I want to learn to glorify God in every stage of my life."   ~ Elisabeth Elliot

The whole series I wrote on aging can be revisited by clicking on this photo:


Per usual, I am getting this in just under the wire, because in a few minutes it will be Saturday! Lord willing, I'll see you next week with a birthday celebration. 

Happy April! 


14 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about always having something to do. It never ends. Loved seeing those old pictures. Did we really look like that? I didn't know you lived in Maryland. I'm not too far away. Maybe sometime we can meet each other. My grandmom used to tell me that growing older was a priviledge and not everyone gets to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words from your grandmother. If God grants us a long life, then He has a purpose in it.

      It would be fun to meet up sometime!

      Delete
  2. What fun pictures to find. Yes, big hair and lace collars...ahhh...those were the days! Yes, there are many family resemblances.

    There are always many things to do. People sometimes call on you more knowing that you are "available." Hope that the closet cleaning went well. 👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that photos are a little piece of family history, a record of a moment in time, because life is always changing. I did enjoy the lace and ruffles of the 80s when I was there. I had several Gunne Sax dresses that I adored! (Then.)

      The cleaning did go well, although I think Mom may be second guessing some of her decisions.

      Delete
  3. Wise words. Fun photos. Sweet birthday girl. And...oh boy what a fun blast from the past. Happy April to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did enjoy that blast from the past! It's fun to look back . . . but also sobering when you realize how long ago it was and it seems like yesterday. Boy, the eighties were big!

      Happy April to you too!

      Delete
  4. Love the old photo, and there are similar ones around here! The words from Elisabeth Elliot are wise ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny . . . we thought we looked so "normal." Twenty years from now, everyone will be laughing at today's styles. :)

      Yes, I was inspired by those words again!

      Delete
  5. Love the old photo. My, does Katie ever look like you on that photo!! You had a very busy week indeed - mine was a bit "too" busy as well - sigh. I am so behind on blogging and on reading my favourite ones. Bring on Spring and let's slow things down a bit? Hugs ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosella, many people say that Kati looks like me!

      Oh dear. I feel as if we will be busy always. Do you get that feeling? Yes, I would like to slow down a bit!

      Hugs back to you . . .

      Delete
  6. I thought I had commented on this post! Well, I am now. I love that photo from the 80's. I think one of Kristen's boys, Ben or Owen, look like Ryan in this photo, too!
    I'm going to go back and reread your series on aging. I know it will be encouraging!

    Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you're right! I believe I see Owen!

      I need to reread those too. I read a few as I was looking, but I need frequent reminding of the important things. Always learning . . .

      Delete
  7. Love the 80's photograph! I don't know your grandchildren's names, but I feel like I see several of them in the photo from the 80's. You all had great hair, btw. :) Love the idea of the biannual try-on day. I bet it's fun for all the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww . . . thank you, Becki! Our hair was big if nothing else! :)

      Yes, the girls do have fun, and none more than 6-year-old Macie!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...