As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, January 6, 2023

Christmastime | 2022


During the Christmas seasons of 2020 and 2021, I was very guarded about my excitement about our plans. Everything seemed tenuous and plans were changing from moment to moment. In spite of everything (including several delays and false alarms), we were blessed to be able to celebrate together both of those years! 

And then this year, plans were derailed by an "ordinary" sickness.  

On the day that they were to fly here for a 10-day visit, our kids were struck with a nasty tummy bug (which feels anything but "ordinary" when it hits!) and their trip was delayed . . . and then cancelled altogether when the bug hung on for dear life. 

And so, it was a Christmas of "James," as much of this year was. 

At the end of my last post, I prayed that we would all find joy in our celebrations. 


Not the joy of warm fuzzies or perfect holiday celebrations.
Not the joy of an untroubled life.

But the joy of a Savior who came to save His people from their sins!



And so, even though our celebrations did not go as planned and the disappointment was palpable at times, we continued to rejoice in the coming of our Savior and we found joy, even amid the changes. (Yes, even in "James!")





CHRISTMAS EVE

We had our traditional Christmas morning breakfast on Christmas Eve. One of us balked at this "James." ("You mean we're going to have Christmas morning breakfast on the day before Christmas and our Christmas buffet the day after Christmas?!) But Christmas was on a Sunday and in our slow-ish household, no one could imagine cooking a big breakfast, eating it leisurely, taking some over to Mom and Daddy, and being ready for church by 9:30, so Christmas Eve it was. 

The menu was traditional, the same one we have had for twenty-ish years: Christmas Morning Casserole, baked oatmeal, Mom's orange rolls
(although I made them this year for the first time), fruit salad, and sausage balls. (Oops. We forgot to get the sausage balls that Mom had made, so we ate those another day.)   


We hadn't planned to attend the Christmas Eve candlelight service because it would have been late for Kati's babies, but since they were not here, we went. I was sad, but it was a lovely service. 

Fun fashion note: Bekah has two dresses that are similar and she decided to wear the black one on Christmas Eve and the winter white one on Christmas Day. Of course, it was bitter cold so she added the red cardigan. 



CHRISTMAS DAY

Nearly everything was different about Christmas Day.

We went to church in the morning, then opened our gifts to one another and had (what?!) Wedding Beef for lunch. 



That moment when you realize that you're twinning with Lamb Chop! 😂


Our Christmas Day has always been full of people and feasting and celebrations, but this year all of that was for the next day. So we made some hot beverages, put our Christmas playlist on Spotify, and took a long drive. Very non-traditional, but we enjoyed it. 


In the evening, we visited Mom and Daddy. Mom filled us with Christmas treats and I didn't take a single photo except the one of my treat-laden plate. 🤦🏻‍♀️



POST-CHRISTMAS

(It became tedious to always say "the day after Christmas" when we were making our plans, so Ryan started calling it "Post-Christmas" and that worked.)

On Post-Christmas, we had our usual family gathering, sans Kati and family and my Daddy who does not venture out much these days. Although we missed them greatly, it was a grand day of celebration, togetherness, laughter, and good food. 

Non-alcoholic Scarlett O'Hara punch served in an antique hobnail punch bowl

Hors d'oeuvres buffet






We hadn't seen Katrina on her birthday earlier in the month,
so she began the gift-opening time with a birthday present!









Trying on Katrina's Mini Mouse hoodie, of course. 



Dessert buffet


And because some of us did not get to finish watching it on Thanksgiving Day, we replayed the old home movie that Ron's family had created over thirty years ago. So many laughs! 






Ron had the rest of the week off. But since Kati and Andrew and the babies were not here, we had to adjust our plans. 

We had planned to share meals, soak up baby time (the babies are now 2 1/2 years and 18 months old, but they're still babies to me), drink coffee from our favorite coffee shop, and have long conversations with our faraway family (who we haven't seen since May). Sigh . . . 


Instead . . .

We did a lot, but with no deadlines and no hurry.

I did almost no cooking because we had Christmas leftovers. 

We spent an evening with Kristin and family.

Ron and I went out for breakfast at a new-to-us place.

We went antiquing on three different days in three different towns. 

Bekah had friends over for games . . . twice. 

We took several drives. 

We drank eggnog lattes two more times. 

We went out for dinner on New Year's Eve and then came home and played games. 


So, although we would rather have had all of our dear ones near (and not sick!), and although we missed them so much, (and this mama confesses to some self-pity and some tears),

we experienced much joy and grace during this beautiful Christmastime of 2022! Emmanuel - God With Us!




The tree lights were off and Ron yawned BIG right in the middle of it (it was past his bedtime and he had no idea I was recording), but it was a beautiful way to usher in the new year . . . with Bekah playing "Be Thou My Vision." 

🎶 Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
🎶 Naught be all else to me save that Thou art!

🎶  Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
🎶 Still be my vision, O Ruler of all.


May HE be your vision in 2023!


22 comments:

  1. You have a lovely home and family. The food looks wonderful! I hope everyone feels better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mrs. White, for your visit and your kind words! Thankfully, everyone is better now!

      Delete
  2. I also wanted to mention that the piano playing of "Be Thou My Vision" was beautifully done! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also . . . thanks for coming back to say you enjoyed "Be Thou My Vision." I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! I love old hymns and this is a favorite (although I have many favorites).

      Delete
  3. Wow....this is the first time I have read your blog. What a beautiful family God has blessed you with! And you sound like a Super Woman to me! Tell Ryan what a handsome young man he has become.....quite a lot of years from Royal Rangers! Blessings to you, Cheryl, and your lovely family! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Debbie! Absolutely, we are so blessed to have our family! (But "Super Woman" I am not!) I will relay your words to Ryan . . . and he will probably respond with some kind of self-deprecating humor! Blessings in the New Year to you and yours! ❤️

      Delete
  4. Life can get so complicated sometimes and disappointing. This is when I remember that Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be broken. So, does this mean there'll be a Christmas in February?

    Your mom always looks so pretty. Glad that she warmed up enough to
    shed her coat. I have worn my coat inside on those bitter cold days. Brrr...

    I enjoyed seeing all the family photos and the food and the video with the yawn...perfect in my opinion...and Bekah's playing. All in all, it was a marvelous
    Christmas. (I'll try not to think about the Christmas Kati and family had.)

    A blessed 2023 to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, there is a January Christmas in the works! Ron will be back at work, so will Andrew, and Bekah will be back to classes, but we will make the most of it and we are so excited!

      Mom is always dressed to the nines, and yes, she was able to come out of that pretty coat after a while. It was cold outside that day!

      Thank you, Vee, for always visiting and saying such sweet things and enjoying our celebrations (even the yawn!) from afar! Blessings in the New Year to you and yours!

      Delete
  5. Even if it didnt go quite to plan (and how many Christmases do?) it was still a lovely time, with family, fun, good food and beautiful piano playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed . . . how many do? That brings this verse to mind: "A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9

      It was a lovely time!

      Delete
  6. We are learning more and more to hold our plans loosely. I can understand the disappointment because Kati and family couldn't enjoy all the beauty, togetherness and fun of your family's celebrations. I'm cracking up at the angst of having Christmas breakfast the night before. Our church didn't have a Christmas Eve service this year and it was a huge disappointment to #2 son. Had to encourage him to stop grumbling. :) I think Christmas breakfast on Christmas Eve is brilliant. Our Christmas breakfast has moved to either boxing day or Katie's birthday morning. (the 27th) Your food and buffet spreads are so inviting. Love the view of that cake with the cranberries, so festive. Happy to read you filled in the time and made the best of Ron's time off. Love Beka's dresses and matchy match with Lamb Chop! Wonderful finale with 'Be thou my vision' and the yawn. Beka plays beautifully! Happy New Year to you and your dear family, Cheryl. Hope a belated visit happens soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lesson I am slow to learn, I'm afraid. I think that I am holding plans loosely . . . and then, when I'm not expecting it, a change comes and . . . all I could think of was that I couldn't see those babies! (You may have had to encourage me to stop grumbling, too! 😉) But, yes, we did have to make those adjustments and there was truly so much to celebrate!

      Thank you for noticing all of those details . . . including the dresses and the hymn and the yawn! Lord willing, a belated visit will happen before the month closes!

      A blessed New Year to all of you! I am rejoicing with you at all that the Lord has done in your family!

      Delete
  7. Hello! I'm new to your blog but enjoying it very much. I understand about your Christmas plans going awry. Our daughter and her family were planning on being here for Christmas weekend, they live about 5 hours away. But because of terrible weather in the mountain passes they couldn't make the trip. We were so sad!! I went back in your blog and read the "James" reference and I can relate to that also! Our daughter and her family (4 grandkids) used to be our neighbors. 4 years ago they moved across the state. So I can relate to hating "James"! Thank you for sharing your story with us. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shirley! So nice to have you visit . . . I already feel like we're kindred spirits! I am sad for you that your Christmas plans were altered too. It's a hard pill to swallow! And I am also sorry that we're kindreds in that "James" kind of way! I had always imagined that my four children would all live nearby but that is not my story. One daughter and her family live nearby (I am grateful for that!), and our "baby" still lives at home. The other two and their families are far flung. I have told my youngest that she must marry a local guy. I am (sort of) kidding. I think.

      Anyway, thank you for introducing yourself here. A blessed New Year to you and yours!

      Delete
  8. Ah friend! How sad that Kati and family could not make it. We had that disappointment with Emma and family Thanksgiving time in 2021. It hurts the heart when you’ve been looking forward to it so much! I feel horrible for them too!

    I love that you did new fun things, and made adaptions to your holidays.

    Be Thou My Vision is my favorite hymn! Loved hearing sweet Bekah playing!

    Happy New Year and Happy Christmas in January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right . . . it does hurt the heart! We miss them all the time, but when you are planning a special time to be together . . . and then that fizzles . . . at the last minute . . . and you also feel terrible about their predicament . . . well, you know all about it!

      We could choose to wallow in our misery (which I did at first), or choose to accept the changes and find joy in the new circumstances. Not to mention that we did have plenty of dear ones around us!

      Be Thou My Vision is the favorite hymn of two of my children! It is so beautiful and stirring, and I am glad that you enjoyed it!

      Blessings in the New Year to you and yours!

      Delete
  9. Oh Cheryl, how hard it is to adjust plans that are anticipated with love and excitement. We were unable to meet with anyone in 2020 and how hard that was. There were tears and loneliness, yet we made the most of it. Your adjustments reflect your heart to make things as lovely as possible.
    Be Thou My Vision is my favourite hymn, and how lovely for Bekah to play it on New Year's Eve.
    May 2023 be filled with Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, your kind and understanding words have gone straight to my heart this morning. Indeed, "may 2023 be filled with Christ" . . . for each of us!

      Delete
  10. What an absolutely perfect hymn to end this lovely post and usher in the New Year! Your family is so amazing and I'm sorry that a special part of it was missing - hope they are all feeling better by now! I was amazed at the "hand painted?" brown wrap on one of the gifts. Did you paint that? Everything looked just perfect and your grandchildren are going to remember the love, tastes, smells, and warm fuzzies that you have brought to them for many, many years to come! Well done dear Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rosella! I would love to think that the grands will remember our gatherings and know how much they were loved!

      Thankfully, the sick have recovered and are planning a visit! Knowing that I had not painted any gift wrap, I had to go back through the photos to see which one you meant. It was actually a printed gift box that my mom had used for one of my gifts and it was such a beautiful package that I had to photograph it! (But thanks for your confidence in me! 😉)

      Blessings in the New Year to you and yours!

      Delete
  11. I don't know how I missed this post, but seeing as I'm grieving how quickly 2023 is going already, I'm kind of glad to get a taste of Christmas again through this post. As always, I love the pictures of your family and I marvel that no one gets weird about you taking pictures. I only have three grown sons (and one girl friend in the mix now) and I have never been able to take many impromptu shots of them. The seem to have radar for when Hub or I have a camera in our hand, and they start being goofy. I think it's too late for me, but you might consider teaching a class (or write a blog post!) on how to train one's people to be comfortable with a roaming camera. I confess, I am not comfortable with roaming cameras either, though. But maybe I could learn how to not be such a difficult subject myself. Though I know why I am. I don't have someone as thoughtful as you who never posts an unflattering picture of anyone. Which makes me think you must take gobs more pictures than ever make it here. Which puts me even more in awe of your cooperative family. :)

    Bekah's playing of Be Thou My Vision is beautiful. Wonderful that you recorded it. Thank you for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by for Christmas in February! I am amazed at how quickly January flew by. Definitely the fastest one in my memory. Whew!

      About the people photos . . .
      ~ My mom always took lots of photos, so I grew up with it. I have always taken photos, so my kids grew up with it too. And some of my kids have blogged and/or have social media, so their kids have also grown up with cameras. I have actually had a grandson pause and pose his hand while picking up a cookie because he knew I was photographing it! :)
      ~ I do take many more photos than end up here on the blog. I usually take a series of any "posed" shots to allow for weird faces, eyes closed, etc.
      ~ If I remember, I turn my sound off on my camera so that candids are more . . . well, candid. (But I have one granddaughter who always catches me no matter what!)
      ~ I do take great care not to post a photo that is unflattering.
      ~ I also have photo-free times. After some intentional photos, I'll announce that I am putting my camera down.
      ~ And, yes, I do have a very tolerant and cooperative family!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...