As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Slow Cooker Tuesday ~ Week 12 {Wedding Beef}


As long as this winter has seemed (it is snowing as I type...on this sixth day of spring!), somehow this recipe series has sped by, and suddenly it is Week 12 and time to wrap it up. (The series, not the winter. I am not in charge of that.)

I have decided to end the series with my hands down favorite slow cooker recipe ever. I have shared it before here on the blog, but I am going to post it again for any new readers as I don't want you to miss it. ~smile~ 

You're welcome. 

Here is the story behind the name...

One of my "go to" recipes is a crock pot meal that we know as Wedding Beef.  Whence the name?

When my son Ryan was engaged to my daughter-in-law Sarah, we were eating dinner together one evening, and discussing plans for the rehearsal dinner.  We were tossing about ideas for places to hold the dinner when Sarah suggested that I prepare the meal (yikes!), and that we serve it in the fellowship hall of the church where the wedding would be.  "What would we serve?" I wondered aloud, and Sarah said, "How about this?"  

"This" was the dish we were eating that night, a pulled beef recipe from the Fix It and Forget It crock pot cookbook.  And "this" was served at Ryan and Sarah's wedding rehearsal dinner, and will forevermore be known (to our family at least) as Wedding Beef.  

Not only have I served Wedding Beef at the rehearsal dinner, but it has appeared on Sunday afternoons, at extended family birthday celebrations, at weeknight meals, and at company dinners.  We serve it on big crusty rolls, and rarely have leftovers.  


Whenever we visit Ryan and Sarah, or when they visit us, this is the first meal we eat together. It has become a family favorite and full of special meaning and family memories! 

How fitting that we ate this meal tonight, on the eve of their ninth anniversary! 

~ Happy Anniversary, Ryan and Sarah! ~
...with much love







Ingredients:
  • 3-4-lb. chuck roast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 or 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary* (or 1 tablespoon chopped dried rosemary)
  • 1 cup water

Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in crock pot.
  2. Cover and cook on LOW 6-7 hours.**  
  3. Shred meat, using two forks.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

NOTES:
* I use whole sprigs of rosemary from my herb garden.  (Little grands who are often my guests don't like the bits of rosemary in the beef.  I put the whole sprigs in for that wonderful rosemary flavor, and then take out the sprigs and the littles are none the wiser.)

** I sometimes take a shortcut by cooking on HIGH for 3-4 hours, then turning down to LOW to keep it warm until serving time.  





Looking for a recipe from another week?
Week 2: Mexican Chicken
Week 3: Beef Ragu
Week 5: Cashew Chicken
Week 7: Crock Pot Chili

14 comments:

  1. It's good to revisit recipes from time to time. I remember the story and I think this is a winning recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little grands are getting less picky about rosemary now, too. Owen finally ate rosemary bread for the first time since being traumatized by the piece of rosemary getting stuck in his throat. ;-) We also had a rosemary chicken recipe last week that everyone ate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so delicious!

    Happy Anniversary to Sarah and Ryan!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! 12 weeks really did go by fast! This sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing such delicious crock pot recipes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good and can't get much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds delicious and I am certain that it smells divine while it is cooking. I love the scent of rosemary! Happy Anniversary to the Maine contingent. Hope that they hang onto their hats...tomorrow looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun that you have given this one such a name! This may be my favorite crock pot meal too and I've put it on before bed for special sandwiches. But I notice how short a time you cook it and maybe that's why mine seems a bit dry. :-) thanks for posting this, I may see improvement next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made your wedding beef recipe before and it is delicious. My grands loved it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great looking slow cooker recipe. Yum! Happy Anniversary to Ryan and Sarah...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the herbs. I bet it's wonderful! And so fun to have that new family tradition. Happy anniversary to them!! Hope spring becomes more spring-like very soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A perfect name for this recipe that will, no doubt, become a handed down treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so good! I love rosemary, the scent and the flavor, so I will be trying this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing. And Happy Anniversary to your son and his bride!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds wonderful! I love Fix it and Forget it meals!!!

    I'm teaching my daughter in love to make homemade ravioli this weekend!

    Enjoy!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this looks so good! I can't wait to try it.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...