As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, March 17, 2014

Sunday Snapshots: Green (and a Recipe)


All day Saturday, Bekah said, "I can't wait for tomorrow." We would be back to our usual type of Sunday and her nieces/nephews/friends would be spending the afternoon with us after several atypical weekends. Actually, we were all looking forward to Sunday afternoon!

Yesterday, the theme was green! We are neither Catholic nor superstitious, but we had a little fun with the Irish part of our ancestry. 



Everyone wore green. There were green shirts, green dresses, green sweaters, green necklaces. (Okay, I was the one whose only green was a necklace. But then I am the only one who has no Irish heritage...)

We labeled our cups with leprechaun names Kati had assigned us for the day. There were cute names like "Clover McDoodles" and "Greenie O'Rainbow."  And there were some not-as-cute names like "Bunyon O'Tavern" and "Tater O'Bourbon." 

Of course, we had our annual corned beef and cabbage meal.

The wee folk were treated to leprechaun pickles! (We have some die hard pickle lovers in our family, so when I saw these little individual cups of mini pickles, I knew that they'd be a hit. We named them "leprechaun pickles" for the day.)

The finishing touch was grasshopper pie! Owen declared it "the best pie EVER" which means, of course, that this Gran will be making it again.


Just in case you'd like to make "the best pie EVER"...



Ingredients:
1 prepared chocolate crumb crust (I used an Oreo crust)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

2 8-oz packages cream cheese
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk

16 drops green food coloring
16 chocolate-covered mint cookies

 
Directions:
  1. Whip heavy cream until it forms soft peaks; set aside.
  2. Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in milk until smooth. Beat in food coloring.
  3. Crush cookies; stir into cream cheese mixture. Fold in whipped cream and spoon into prepared crust. 
  4. Cover and freeze overnight. Remove from freezer 30 minutes before serving. Garnish each slice with a chocolate-covered mint cookie or with additional whipped cream (optional).








10 comments:

  1. Sounds like another wonderful Sunday celebration at your home, Cheryl! I have not even a drop of Irish. blood yet today I am having a friend over for cb & c and I am baking Irish soda bread. I have been doing this for a very long time! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Day well documented! Yes, everyone is a wee bit Irish on St. Patrick's Day. I like reading about St. Patrick. He sounds like such a remarkable person. We are having Shamrock shakes for after school snacks and that is all the nod to the day there will be. (I may have to look for some green to wear, which will be a challenge. I have never worn green well.) I plan to pin your pie for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like lots of fun to me. The pie sounds great, but I am trying to be good so I will try not to think about it, lol. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute kid photo!! And please save me a piece of that pie. Looks scrumptuous! (sp) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah all the green. Your family runs smoothly, it seems! Love that photo of a little one on the edge of her chair. Such a sweet capture (and crop most likely). Love that pie and I too will pin it for the future so I have the recipe handy. And I won't say this time what I notice (wink) about your large bowl next to the sink. I too do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pie does look like "the best pie ever"! Beautiful family shots of having fun at your house. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun you had with St. Patrick's Day. It's passing by here with barely a mention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such happy times at your home, Cheryl. What a lovely nod to the Irish. Your pie does indeed sound like the "best pie ever". ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great time to remember, good food and loved ones...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your family has so much fun together! What a joy to get the opportunity to peek in.
    And the recipe? Anything with cream cheese and chocolate MUST be good! I'll be trying this one for sure. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...