As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Slow Cooker Tuesday ~ Week 9 {Spiced Fruit Compote}


Yes, Slow Cooker Tuesday appears on a Wednesday this week. (Explanation ~here~.)

Many years ago, I made a dish like this once or twice from a recipe that I had clipped from our local paper, but I misplaced it. Of course, I was able to find many similar recipes via google search, and so I took the elements I liked from several sources, and made my own version of a hot spiced fruit compote. 

It was better than I remembered, and now I am thinking of all the ways I could serve this! Tonight we enjoyed it as a side dish, accompanying rotisserie chicken and a green salad. But I could also see this compote as a dessert, maybe with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. I am also imagining it atop waffles, although I'd probably add a bit more cornstarch to the recipe so it would have a thicker consistency. Actually, I think it would be a great addition to many breakfast or brunch menus.

I believe I'll have the opportunity to try out some of my ideas, because my family loved it and would like to have it again! 





Ingredients:
29-0unce can sliced peaches, drained
20-ounce can pineapple chunks, drained
15-ounce can apricot halves, drained

15-ounce can sliced pears, drained
1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained
1/2 cup brown sugar   

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 tablespoons butter
 
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker; stir gently.
  2. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, or on HIGH for 2 to 3. 



Do you enjoy looking for new ways to serve a dish that you make? 






Looking for a recipe from another week?
Week 2: Mexican Chicken
Week 3: Beef Ragu
Week 5: Cashew Chicken
Week 7: Crock Pot Chili


4 comments:

  1. I love warm fruit! Warm homemade chunky applesauce over a hot buttered biscuit is the stuff of dreams! Warm fruit compote on a cold morning... ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Joanne I love warm fruit this recipe has all my favorite fruits, I like the versatility of it. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day, Kati remains in my prayers.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish does not sound like "my cup of tea" but I might be surprised. It does remind me that there is so much more I could be doing with my slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!

    Your blog has caught our attention because of the quality of the recipes. We would be delighted if you would join us at http://www.mytaste,com/ so that we could link to it.

    myTaste.com is a search engine that compiles the best American cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. Several hundred blogs are already enrolled here and are taking benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.

    To join myTaste, just go to http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

    Best regards,
    Elin
    MyTaste.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...