As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, March 14, 2014

A Weekend Chat With My Reader-Friends


One of the things that has surprised me the most over the 4.5 years that I have been blogging is the community that forms between bloggers. Bloggers (and the non-bloggers who read blogs!) are real people with real lives -- and real bonds form. There is fellowship and encouragement and the richness of ideas. We pray for one another. We care. 

Today, I'm going to continue the conversation with my reader-friends (the one that began in the comments section in ~this~ post) and try to answer some of your questions. Want to grab a cuppa?




A couple of you asked about the house photos. Photos of my house all spiffed up for the holidays are slated to appear in a 2015 holiday book by Judy Condon (author of the Simply Country book series). Further details are in ~this~ post (lots of details, including the story of the chandelier fire...yikes!). I am still amazed. 



Those flour and sugar canisters. You guys are quite observant! ~big smile~

As soon as I downloaded the photos of the pot of yellow tulips, I noticed that the canisters were empty. But sunny days have been few and far between lately, so I was not about to wait for another sunny day to retake those photos. We haven't been doing a lot of baking in these past weeks as my resident baker has been under the weather (and on a strict non-fat diet), but empty canisters just don't look very homey, so they are now refilled.



Is "commenter" a word, Sharon D? My auto spell check doesn't think so, as I always have those red squiggly lines under that word when I type it. Merriam-Webster online dictionary doesn't consider it a word either. But Oxford Dictionaries does, so I'm going with that. A commenter is "one who comments," right? It should be a word. (What do you all think?)



I didn't tell Ron of my doubts about the pot rack until after it was hung. I agree with Vee totally. Such a gift should be honored, and it is. I also agree with you commenters who think that I am fortunate to have a husband with woodworking talents. I am! And I loved reading all of your pot rack stories!



The bedroom sitting area is a work in progress. The television is installed now, but the blu-ray player that we bought so that we could stream Netflix movies is one that is not equipped with internet connection. (We assumed that all blu-ray players had that capability, and we disposed of the packaging before we realized.) We'll still use it to watch movies that we already own, but we don't have the options we had hoped for.

As for the room itself, we have plans to paint it when Ron is on vacation in April. I am on the lookout for a new bedside table that can double as a desk. I'd also like to find an armoire (cheap!), so that I can streamline our space. The dresser that we have takes up a lot of horizontal space, and we think we can have just as much usable space by going vertical. I am stalking Craigslist for the right thing at the right price.

This is the photo that my friend Frances took of our bedroom in December. (She made it look better than real life!) I'll post another picture when we've made some progress, but I hope you're not in a hurry. It could be a long time before I get things the way I want them.

Photo by Frances


Lastly, I want to let my non-blogging friends know that they can always email me by clicking on my profile and clicking the email link on the left side of the page. I'd love to chat! 


13 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I wanted you to know that your blog is one I look forward to reading. I was first drawn to it because of your decorating style, but honestly I must say, I continue to read it because of your graciousness. Thank you for sharing your home and family life with me. It's quite inspirational. I'm keeping Kati in my prayers. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bedroom! I like seeing what you've done in your room as I am back in our biggest room and need to do some cozy things to make it warm and comfortable, not big and empty!

    I like these kinds of posts as well, fun chats with friends!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like such a cozy room, your bedroom. Will you set up your laptop at the desk or will it be for paying bills and writing letters? I like a desk before a window minus a monitor. That Podso! She notices everything. =D I noticed and thought nothing of it because that is exactly how my canisters look even at this moment. Perhaps when I get some flour and sugar.... We're putting all our extra cash into the oil tank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, I love the cozy bedroom too! And I was thinking about commenter or is it commentor? I have a red line under both now...it seems an "o" is more appropriate....like commentator (no red line here) ....who knows???

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a great read for me tonight, Cheryl, I did notice the near empty canisters, but thought someone had really been doing some baking. Mine look like that when I want to wash them to replenish~smile~
    Congratulations on being selected, I so look forward to this Christmas and seeing your beautiful home in print. Your bedroom is absolutely beautiful!
    Still praying for Miss kati.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post. Congratulations on having your beautiful house photos in Simply Country. That is really exciting. Every time I see your house I want to redo mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheryl, congratulations! How exciting to have your house in print! Your home is beautiful and I love your decorating style. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this chatty post! and oh my I hope you didn't mind my (winking) comment about the canisters, I really was just drawing attention to them because they looked so nice with their dark lids… obviously it showed that you use flour and sugar which means good things around your house! Let's just say being both a nurse and an editor makes the observation skills, whether desirable or not, just what they are.
    I hope you are having a nice weekend! It's a beautiful day today and I did the first spring mow. I think rain is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Podso, I didn't mind at all!! In fact, it made me smile! :D

    I'm afraid that I am lacking in observation skills. Ron and two of my daughters, however, are very observant, so it doesn't surprise me when someone else is.

    Enjoy the sun while it lasts! It's gorgeous here today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this kind of chatty post. Your bedroom looks like a restful, cozy corner of your home.
    Commentator doesn't get the squiggly lines, but I agree with you that commenter should be a word. (and it didn't get the squiggly line this time - maybe my computer thinks it's a real word.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy your home is being featured. I will be sure to buy a copy! Now off to check out the article. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please let us know when the new book will be out featuring your home. Would love to get a copy.
    Love your "Walton Family" get-togethers and celebrations that are also so colored and theme coordinated. Blessings, Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I might have mentioned really loving your lamb centerpiece. Since I saw it I've been looking for some sort of lamb for myself. IT is hard to find any such thing! Silly stuffed lambs abound, rabbits are EVERYwhere, but lambs...not so much. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...