As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, March 7, 2014

Lightening and Brightening


Feeling the need to brighten my corner of the world, I have begun to add some lighter touches to my home decor. I'll be ready for spring when it arrives. In the meantime...

I have debuted this beautiful new table runner, made by my dear friend Jodi. I think I have shown great restraint because, although Jodi gave it to me for Christmas, I have kept it tucked away in my linen cabinet until the change of seasons, just waiting for the calendar to turn. No matter that it snowed up a storm as soon as I put it on my table. It is a herald of springtime to me.






Again, I went in search of cheery flowers. This time, I found a pot of sunny yellow tulips. Cheery indeed! They are atop the kitchen island in an old crock, and they make me smile. (Do you have any tips on replanting these outside later?) 





I couldn't stand the winter white berries in this crock in the living room one more day. It's a bit too early for forsythia, so as a temporary measure I plopped in one of my topiaries. Bekah says it's too small for the crock, and I think she is right, but it's green and it's staying. For now. 



What about you? Are you lightening or brightening the corners of your world? 

13 comments:

  1. The five feet of snow is about as bright as I can take. I am squinting all the time these days. My eyelids twitch...oh, that's too much information for sure.

    What a beautiful runner Jodi created. It is truly a work of art and the color and fabric combinations are perfection.

    Yellow tulips...ahhh...so cheery! When I did my research on planting such pots of tulips, I learned that I couldn't. These potted tulip bulbs are not suitable for planting...but do look it up. I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful table runner! And the tulips! Sigh!

    I am trying to lighten and brighten! Now if only the weather would cooperate!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying your lightening and brightening Cheryl. A beautiful table runner indeed, I love fresh blooms inside especially this time of year when the days are cold and grey.
    Your home looks so warm and inviting, I am getting more motivated each day as I visit here in blogland, thanks for sharing and for the motivation.
    Still praying for Kati.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bouquet of white daisies in my kitchen right now:) BUT, the real lightening and brightening I need to get to is CLEANING.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful table runner. Your house always looks so calm and peaceful and I love looking into your kitchen. I see the bread bowl is out (at least I use mine like that for bread) and you need some more sugar and flour. :-) Where did you get those beautiful canisters with the dark lids?

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tulips. I will be buying some this weekend for sure. Mom made a beautiful spring bouquet of silk flowers but we are both wanting tulips. I am inspired by your post to get the spring stuff out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new table runner is beautiful. I've probably said this before, but I love your kitchen. It always looks so neat and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing this glimpse of your beautiful kitchen! The flowers look so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The table runner is beautiful! what a lovely gift. And the tulips are just the thing to brighten up your days, ready to welcome Spring and shoo away the dark days of Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lightening and brightening is a good thing to do at this time of year when we are all longing for spring. Your kitchen looks lovely, warm and welcoming and the tulips add such cheeriness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I put out my primitive egg decorations a couple of weeks ago. I also cut some daffodils yesterday and put them in a vase for our breakfast table. They smell so good! Love the color of those tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. The table runner is gorgeous too! Can't believe you waited to put it out, LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...