As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Slow Cooker Tuesday ~ Week 11 {Slow Cooker Bacon Jam}


This winter, I have come out of the crock pot box! 

As part of my Slow Cooker Tuesday recipe series, I have used my slow cooker to make not only main dishes, but also a soup, a side dish, and desserts. It's been fun to try some different things. 

But I had never considered using the slow cooker to make an appetizer! Until this week. 

I am hosting a ladies' game night on Friday evening, so yesterday I put my slow cooker to work to get a jump start on the menu by making Slow Cooker Bacon Jam. (And it smelled sooo good while it was cooking!) Yes, that's out of the box, but it's a sweet, savory, barbeque-y kind of out of the box. 

On Friday, I'll toast some baguette slices, warm the jam to room temperature, and serve this slow cooker appetizer along with other hors d'oeuvres. (I'll let you know how the ladies like it!)






Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 medium yellow onions, diced
small 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup brewed coffee 

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. 
  2. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet (reserve for another use); add onions and garlic, and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. 
  3. Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and coffee and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes. Add bacon and stir to combine.
  4. Transfer mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. 
  5. Transfer to a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. 
  6. Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers, up to 4 weeks. 


Have you ever tried anything out of the crock pot box?






Looking for a recipe from another week?
Week 2: Mexican Chicken
Week 3: Beef Ragu
Week 5: Cashew Chicken
Week 7: Crock Pot Chili

13 comments:

  1. Oh my. What isn't to like about this recipe? It will be delicious!
    I've done apple butter and a chocolate cobbler that was to die for.
    As you know, I am currently on a cast iron kick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds like it would be delicious on toasted bread of any variety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'll take bacon any way you fix it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl this sounds like a great recipe, I love bacon and have never heard of bacon jam, Great idea.
    Loved your Sunday snapshots,especially the photos of the young men eating pickles.
    The grasshopper pie also looks delicious.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacon Jam--now that sounds interesting! Add some chocolate in there and you've got a winner.
    And please let us know what else you serve and what games you play.
    Your get-togethers always seem so fun. Blessings, Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I shall certainly wish to hear the review as you are way outta dat box and I am so in it. =D No, I'm pretty much a whatever is in the cookbook that came with the crockpot kind of gal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm. I had some of this a few months ago and it was delicious! Glad to see the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness that sounds delicious! Please tell us how the girls like it. I didn't know there were crock pot boxes. Where have I been!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! Bacon and Coffee together. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love bacon.

    I'm thinking I could love this recipe. I'll be interested to see how the ladies enjoy it.

    Poor Kati! She can't have any, can she?!

    Game night sounds fun!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness gracious, Cheryl! This has to be good--all the right ingredients to be delicious. Enjoy game night. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds scrumptious, Cheryl. And on toasted baguette? Yummo! xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...