As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Slow Cooker Tuesday ~ Week 5 {Cashew Chicken}


Don't you love it when you've been inside much of the week because of the weather and your errands have piled up and when you finally do get out you have lots of places to go and you're gone all afternoon but a lovely hint-of-Asia chicken dish is waiting for you at home? I love that!

This was the dish, courtesy of my friend Jill who always has new and exciting recipes up her sleeve!







Ingredients:
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken (tenders, breasts, or thighs)
3 stalks celery, diagonally sliced
1 onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
1 4-oz. can sliced mushrooms (or sliced fresh mushrooms)
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 cup cashews 
Directions:
  1. Place chicken in slow cooker.  On top of chicken, place celery, onion, and mushrooms.
  2. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in small bowl. Mix and pour over chicken and veggies. 
  3. Cover. Cook on Low 3-4 hours for smaller pieces of chicken, 5-6 hours for breasts.
  4. Add cashews and stir. 
  5. Serve over rice. 

NOTES:
~ Jill used frozen chicken breasts and used the longer cooking time, and I did the same. 
~ I substituted 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger for the fresh ginger.
~ You can substitute other nuts for cashews. 
~ Double the sauce ingredients if you like lots of sauce over the rice. 

This recipe was a hit at our table with everyone asking to have it again! (That makes for a happy cook!)


Do you have a friend like Jill...someone you can turn to for some recipe inspiration?


7 comments:

  1. We had something similar to this last night but it was Chinese take out (cashew chicken). This sounds easy and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my go to girl for food inspiration! And my friend Amy.

    This recipe looks really good too, food that my family would eat!

    Thanks to you and Jill for providing it to us all!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great. I'll definitely be trying it.

    Can I just make a plea that people consider bone-in chicken? It's not only cheaper (you can pull the skin off and discard, or freeze to render into schmaltz later) but when you do a long cook in an acidy solution (the sauce) it allows calcium and trace minerals to leach into the food. Super healthy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something John would love and I would sacrifice to make it for him. Valentine's Day is coming! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another tasty sounding recipe :) So glad you shared this with us. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...