As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Sixty-Five Years


Today is my parents' 65th wedding anniversary.


So much has changed since this time last year. We went to see Daddy (who is suffering from the later stages of dementia) this afternoon, Mom in her white dress because she always wears white on their anniversary. She gave him a card and some chocolate-covered cherries. She also brought a CD so that they could listen to "their song" (Moonglow/Theme from "Picnic"). She asked him if he remembered this song and the movie Picnic. He did . . . and he even volunteered the name of the leading actress, Kim Novak. Some days, he doesn't even remember my name, but I was absolutely thrilled that he remembered Kim Novak and maybe (who really knows?) some sweet moments of young love and watching this movie with my mom. Some days are hard right now, and, honestly, some days feel harder-than-hard, but I am so grateful for today, for a good visit, and for moments of grace.


"Their song" . . .


20 comments:

  1. Dearest Cheryl, my heart hears yours this morning. What a beautiful love story your parents have shared. A beautiful example of long lasting enduring love. I will continue praying for you and your family as you journey through these hard days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Ellen, it is a true gift to have a friend who hears your heart. I thank you for your always-kind words of encouragement and for your prayers.

      Delete
  2. This is so precious. It is a testimony of love and care for a lifetime. May God bless and keep you all. May He provide peace and joy for each day, to your dear parents and to all in your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it is a journey for one day at a time. Thank you for your kind words of blessing.

      Delete
  3. Sixty Five years is special and I'm glad to read that some memories came through on this special day. I can't imagine how hard it is for your dear mom and you to watch this memory decline. Praying for you and your family as the Lord takes you through this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a gift, Ellen . . . those memories on that day. Thank you so much for your continued prayers.

      Delete
  4. Those few moments are so precious, treasure them forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sweet memories for your parents 65 years. Life is hard sometimes, but their faithfulness and love is truly a godly example to us all. Blessings and prayers during these hard days. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be a very sweet memory. Thank you for your blessings and prayers, Vickie.

      Delete
  6. Those sweet moments remembered most have been a special anniversary blessing for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very precious!!! Your Momma is so encouraging to keep with tradition even tho things are so hard!!! What a blessing, and the LORD God gave a sweet gift of your fathers recollection <3 !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a special day and an unexpected gift from the Lord!

      Delete
  8. What a lovely love story! It's fascinating that music seems to be something we remember even during memory loss of so many other things! God bless you and your family and give you strength and grace as you support your parents during this trying time of their lives. Huge hugs ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosella. I, too, find it fascinating how music is different in the memory . . . we are fearfully and wonderfully made! I appreciate your kind words, your hugs, and your prayers.

      Delete
  9. My parents celebrated 64 years on July 25th! These are hard days, but the God who has been so faithful through the years will be faithful through these days.
    Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Deanna. I believe that!
      Love you back!

      Delete
  10. Linda - Behind My Red DoorAugust 13, 2023 at 8:36 AM

    Music allowed me to calm and connect with my mom so many times during her dementia journey. Playing piano was a daily part of her life until Alzheimer’s robbed her of that but her love of music and the lyrics never left her. Wishing you all peace in this journey.🙏🏻 ❤️🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you for sharing that! It is lovely and fascinating that your mom's love for music did not leave her. My dad is not a musician, but he has dearly loved music all of his life. We usually play a CD for him while we visit, and start it over before we leave so that he can have another hour of listening. I am thankful for the gift of music!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...